WM-10 3D printed parts progress

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by Squiggly, Jan 1, 2023.

1. Squiggly

Squiggly Member

So i was posting some of my 3d modeling progress on some old thread made by a guy ages ago, seeing as some people took interest i figured id just make my own post detailing all of the progress
    Updates will be whenever i finish pieces, and ill begin uploading images of test prints once my 3D printer arrives in about ~3 days
    Ill start this off showing some of the finished models ive created
    WM-F10 ii battery cover
    f10coverfront.png f10coverback.png
    That annoying spring latch thing that usually breaks in the F10-F20/10-20 door covers
    f10springlatch.png
    And as for unfinished parts

Take up reel replacement since they commonly break, planning to print it in 2 pieces, then it can be glued on either side
    though depending how it works out, thats subject to change
    takeupreel.png
    and lastly, as im working on the F10/F20 door currently this is a model of the bottom piece im almost finished with, think im going to wind up remaking this one later on as i think some of the measurements are slightly off

*edit, tried to update the F20 door piece using imgur link, and it seemed to not format right, not sure why there are 2 attachments of the old image below now, but im going to post it separately below

Anyways thats all i have to show so far, will post updates as they come

EDIT: whenever i post the files for these they will be uploaded here on thingiverse https://www.thingiverse.com/imcrow/designs

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 17, 2024
  2. Squiggly

Squiggly Member

since it didnt format right on the original post when i edited it and created 2 attachments of it instead, heres a separate comment showing how it looks so far
    again, think i might redo it later on since i dont think its completely right
    and this is just after correcting a simple mistake, i didnt realize i forgot to shorten the plastic pegs on the end, this is basically the complete visible portion of it, and im going to add the cutout on the bottom of it for the latch now
    f20bottompiece.png

Last edited: Jan 1, 2023
  3. Squiggly

Squiggly Member

placing the pieces together, there seems to be some small corrections that need to be made
    but it looks *generally* correct, ill have to check the spring dimensions when im able to print it, and use an original piece to test it with
    coverwithspring.png
    it *seems* ok, but from here i think im going to wait on doing anything new from here so i can check the general dimensions of these parts before going further
    with parts like these its crazy how much .1 mm here and there can add up to big differences (which ill include is *extremely* hard to measure with THAT much accuracy)

4. Squiggly

Squiggly Member

as a sort of update since i havent posted anything in a week ish
    just waiting for the resin to be delivered, printer is set up, soon as the resin gets here im going to make a few test prints
    EDIT: i kind of overlooked the setting up of things here, bit more involved than i had imagined, im messing with making the curing station (basically just have to go and line a box with tin foil for better UV coverage of the models inside), and still have to level the printer bed as *apparently* the card that comes with the saturn 2 is much too thick
    after that i just have to load my sliced models into the printer and get it going, so hopefully this wont be delayed any longer

Last edited: Jan 15, 2023
    Patex, Boodokhan, Command8 and 2 others like this.
  5. Squiggly

Squiggly Member

so first off, ive been putting this off waay too long, getting supplies, calibrating stuff, setting up the washing and curing stuff took a while
    but im starting it now, after i run the calibration print through, which is almost finished right now, ill have some results up later today provided i dont run into any issues with the calibration prints

Patex likes this.
  6. mattb1970

mattb1970 Member

Good luck, hope it goes well and all your effort pays off.

7. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

With the 3D printer they had at work they used what appeared to be aluminium foil food containers. It might be looking at catering suppliers.

8. Squiggly

Squiggly Member

update, the calibration print finished, surprisingly it turned out as good as i think could be expected of this printer
    im going to run the f10 ii cover through it now and see how it comes out, will likely come back with an update in maybe ~2 hours

9. Squiggly

Squiggly Member

heres the results of the first print (placed near an original for reference)
    *note the one im using isnt cured, this is just for reference while the 2 others are curing*
    using this one since it picked up some crap while printing, probably should have cleaned the vat before starting, but these will get painted regardless so any imperfections wont be visible anyhow
    *and ignore the state of my desk, its been awhile since i cleaned it*
    f10iicover1.jpg
    i noticed they all had this lip at the bottom, so next time im going to place them on supports and that should prevent it in the future
    also, i made the bottom too long, ill correct that before printing the next round
    f10iicover2.jpg
    here it looks like the front face is spot on though, well except i might have made a few too many ridges on the grip area, so i might redo that later on
    f10iicover3.jpg
    and the rear area of the front, looks spot on

ill probably use these to practice painting them, see if i can get these looking like the originals paint, since the bottom is too long and they developed a lip in printing

so ill revise the model, add supports, and likely post another update in a day or two, but till then, this is what i got to show so far, should have some way better results when i post back on here and make aforementioned revisions

Last edited: Jan 26, 2023
    Patex, autoreverser and Boodokhan like this.
  10. Squiggly

Squiggly Member

what should be- the final model is printing currently
    ill post it when it comes out, but after this i think ill start on the gear and latch/spring, to see if they are the correct size and to make some small changes

edit: actually scratch the gear for now, think ill save it for last on my list, im going to finish the f10 cover first, then do the wm-10 cover, and lastly do the gear

Last edited: Jan 27, 2023
    Patex and Boodokhan like this.
  11. Squiggly

Squiggly Member

so this is about what the final one will look like, its a very snug fit so i think im going to tone down the thickness ever so slightly, and correct the grip appearance, though otherwise i think this is about the final result here
    *also update took a bit since i had a failed print and this took 5 hours alone*
    f10coverv1.jpg
    f10coverv1-2.jpg
    Now im just going to see about painting it the original color, and how close i can get it using the several i have on hand to experiment with

Patex, autoreverser, Emiel and 4 others like this.
  12. Squiggly

Squiggly Member

whoops kinda forgot about this since i was busy with some other things lately
    SATs, getting a license, browsing colleges, etc (and thanks DMV i get to wait another 2 months because i didnt watch a video)
    going to get back on this when i can, just been busy lately
    (though i am guilty of spending like a week trying to fix a def leppard lighter lol)

13. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

excellent job @Squiggly
    Please update us with the process.

14. Squiggly

Squiggly Member

oh hell ive been putting this off longer than i thought
    been busy with getting a license lately, kinda forgot about the projects i was working on

should be getting my license in a week so long as no more DMV issues crop up, soon as thats done ill get back on this

15. Magneto

Magneto Member

I need a take up reel replacement. Make that first, then go back to the DMV! ;) j/k

Seriously, it's all looking great, Squiggly. Can't wait to see all the finished product.

16. Squiggly

Squiggly Member

well physically speaking the cover is a near perfect copy, just gotta nail the cosmetics (paint/decals)
    so this part alone is practically finished, its just doing the decals that i dread lmao - doing that lettering is going to be such a pain
    *and after i get the f10 cover finished the reel is what im planning to work on next, so hopefully not much more of a wait*

Boodokhan and Magneto like this.
  17. Magneto

Magneto Member

Yay! I'll be so happy to get that broken gear fixed. A 100% working WM-10 has always evaded me. Yes it runs and works, but it's finicky. But just like my WM-701C, I stubbornly want it running without any faults.

Thanks for the update!

18. Squiggly

Squiggly Member

ah we'll never have a fully working WM-10 ever sadly, unless someone figures out how to replace the worn caps in them
    *hint hint at something else im looking into*

also np, im just sorry its wound up taking so long, life stuff getting in the way atm

19. callan752

callan752 New Member

I'm so happy to find this thread! I was just told about this while talking to another member about their WM-10 issues. The dreaded snapped/shrunk take up reel gear stopped me dead in my tracks back in 2018 because SLA printers used to cost a lot more than they do now. I'm considering starting my repair project back up, getting into the SLA world, and trying to print one. Have you shared that model on any 3D model hosting sites so that I could give it a try? You mentioned printing it in 2 parts and gluing it, is that so it can fit around the metal disk or is it a print support issue? Thank you for your great work!

20. Squiggly

Squiggly Member

oh crap sorry for the late-ish response, the only one ive finished last i worked on it was the wm-f10 cover, the gear is about in the same state as i left it in. i got super sidetracked wondering how id figure out the letter font of the f10 cover letters and transforming it into being a printable template. wound up shelving the project until i could figure that bit out. (getting sidetracked with trying to obtain an oscilliscope and better headphones now lately)
    gear is super unfinished as i couldnt quite figure out a way to properly gauge the curvature of the disc (its press fit on at the factory afaik), my last janky idea was to leave an empty space where the curved area was then allow it to be glued on like stated before in 2 pieces (glue fills the gaps, something like jb-weld)
    i can dm you the project link, though the gear is still largely unfinished on the underside, teeth count and dimensions otherwise though are as accurate as i could measure it