Hello, from Dresden, Germany

Discussion in 'Introducing myself' started by soluna, Mar 11, 2023.

1. soluna

soluna Active Member

I`m Fritz, i found this site by looking for some special TDK Cassettes. 3 vears ago my Tape Deck Technics RS-BX 707 goes wrong, and so i deceide to fulfill a dream, and get a TEAC V-6030S. At tis moment i began to collect cassettes, first Maxell ( this was my preferred brand to record ), Sony, That`s, Denon,Fuji, Nakamichi and TDK.
    Then i only collected TDK. I wanted to have one from every year, every region ( like US, Japan, Europe - with the specials Canada, South America, Australia) , every sort from A - T1, and, if there, every different layout, for example for DS Colours from 2001, Freddie Land, Hello Kitty and CDing 2 from 1997. And i preferred 90-Minutes-Cassettes, but TDK sometimes produced only other time-lengths, like AD-X from 1990, or some Super CDing, so i took one of these. And i collect Head Cleaners, Endless Tapes, Demagnetizers and some Merchandise Stuff. Important for all - SEALED in undamaged original cover foils.
    Just at the moment i have 455 different TDK Cassettes, most with 90 minutes tape length. I noticed, that many of the cassettes were produced with different declaration types ( for example in US - "Made in Japan", or "assembled in US" ) or some with different shell types ( like small and bigger reels in TDK SA between 1983-1987 ). So, for example i have 9 different TDK D 90 from 1982, and there is one from US-Canada i miss .
    Later i will post the photos of my collection - there are still 2 parcels coming to me, may be , it could be interesting for the forum.
    Greetings to all analog enthusiasts, may the sound be with you.

2. TooCooL4

TooCooL4 Well-Known Member

Welcome to Stereo2go soluna.

You have one major obsession there.

Magneto likes this.
  3. soluna

soluna Active Member

It´s a neurotic question of perfection, i mean. At the end, it`s an museum. But. It´s an investment. And, ev`ry time, i can get a new cassette, it`s a little moment of happiness. Isn*t this the only reason for collecting ?

autoreverser and Silverera like this.
  4. smeltedcheese

smeltedcheese Member

Absolutely. Get those tapes, man!

MikeWalkman likes this.
  5. TooCooL4

TooCooL4 Well-Known Member

I am sure it’s a good collection you have, I am sure it’s enjoyable to look at.
    I can’t answer your question about the reason for collecting anything, since I don’t collect anything. Everything I have is for using for the purpose it was intended. :nwink:

6. Valentin

Valentin Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum, @soluna !

I think sharing pictures with the tapes you have on the forum is a very good idea. Like to see all the different variations of a specific tape.

The little moment of happiness when I get a new tape is a good reason to collect, however for me it would create more happiness if I unseal it and record on it to see how it sounds like :).
    But everyone is different any buying these for different reasons.

Looking forward to see pictures !

Silverera likes this.
  7. MikeWalkman

MikeWalkman New Member

Mit freundlichen Grüßen aus Trentino, Italien!

8. soluna

soluna Active Member

Thanx for welcome to all. I know, it`s nerdy, spleeny to collect. I have about 60 used tapes, that i can use for records, and if i want to have fun with unsealing ( Now i chew it !! ... ) i buy a new one, but the most interesting tapes to check are expensive.
    In this case, the collection isn`t untouchable ;-) And i don`t know, what happens in future... By the way, i have another collection, - of ORWO Cassettes, the tapes from Eastern Germany, and it`s representing the era of my childhood. For historians this collection could be interesting, because you can retrace the problems of manufacture in the G.D.R.
    Anyway - it`s fun ! And it´s exciting to solve problems, for example - there is a guy in Russia, he has all of the TDK Freddie Land - Tapes at the russian ebay - "Meschok" , - , but in case of war, there is a sanction of shipment... I*m looking for someone, who can buy it and find a way to transfer to Germany...
    And - it`s a fact, that i learn Englisch during the contacts with the dealers and collectors in the world, Poland, U.S., Ukrainia, Estonia - so it has an positive side effect... :tongue:
    Regarding Greetings from Trentino - I live in Dresden, it`s known as "Elb - Florenz" ;-)

Next week parcels arrive here - when i have sorted the tapes, i will make the photos.
    Have a nice Sunday

9. Magneto

Magneto Member

Hello Fritz, would love to see your collection. Welcome.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2023
  10. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to the forum soluna! I'm also an obsessive collector, 20 years ago a lot of us forum members were "saving" tapes and tape decks when everyone thought they were the lowest form of audio and they were getting thrown out on a regular basis. Luckily, while we are a small (and growing) group, we saved a ton of equipment that would have been destroyed.

Now it blows my mind that stuff I literally pulled out of the trash is worth hundreds of dollars, if not more.

Feel free to post your stuff, while we don't get a ton of posting on this forum, lot's of people are looking, I see posts and videos referencing the site all the time.

11. soluna

soluna Active Member

Sometimes i think, if i have had the knowledge about rebirth of tapes, i better had bought some tape decks like Eumig, Tandberg, Revox, Alpine, Luxman and so on, but know, mmmh, my flat`s too small.... But the TEAC ( that was very fine renewed by a little factory in Berlin for a very small price - that must be lovers of analog stuff... ) does the thing, and it works fine with my Yamaha AX-1090 and the self-made speaker boxes.

12. soluna

soluna Active Member

13. Silverera

Silverera Active Member

Welcome Fritz. I completely understand that "moment of happiness" when you find and receive an item long sought after. There is a massive amount of nostalgia here too for the music and the time and place we heard and experienced it back in the 1960's through to the 80's. Then good quality cassettes like the TDK made in Japan ones were my regular choice to record on.
    I wondered if you had an interest in headphone stereo cassette players like the Walkman or Aiwa's from the golden era. My deck, in for long overdue repair at present, is a Pioneer CT-F1000 but I usually listen to my tapes on a Walkman like a Boodo Khan or DC2. Do you collect Walkman as well?
    PS Dresden is on my list of German cities I need to visit while age still permits

Magneto likes this.
  14. soluna

soluna Active Member

The Pioneer seems to be a fine deck, i like this kind of cassette compartment architecture. And i had some Walkman, but i didn`t collect them. By the way, my first Walkman was the Sanyo MG 30, one of the japanese imports in the GDR in 1986, price 1000,- Mark of GDR. My last Walkman, - a Panasonic RQ-SX 30 i sold last year. Sometimes i use my Sharp MD-MT 180H with Headphones, when i`m on the road, or at the campfire, connected with a B&O Beoplay A2 . very good sound. And, may be, i want to buy a another Walkman - that`s a question of the mood. ;-)

15. Silverera

Silverera Active Member

Well unfortunately the Walkman prices now are quite high. Have not been in Germany since 2014 but loved going to Eastern parts of Berlin because on my first journey it was 1977 and still GDR and the Wall. Every time I hear the Scorpions "Winds of Change" I recall those times.
    Cheers.