Hello world from Luxembourg

Discussion in 'Introducing myself' started by rappzy, Apr 3, 2023.

1. rappzy

rappzy New Member

Hi All,

I have recently turned 50 and got all nostalgic, so my dad in the UK posted me over a box of my old electronics, of course drive rubbers in the walkmans are all perished after 40 years of not so great storage and lack of use. I am in the process of replacing the rubbers but will no doubt be in need of wisdom from the forum members as I progress through my collection of vintage walkmans, my favorite and rarest is the Aiwa hs-p3x with matching headphones, the antenna wire for the fm transmitter has come away from the rear ciruit board, the black wire I assume it completes some sort of fm loop for the transmitter, which is working but you have to be within a few inches to tune it in! cant find any manuals for this model whatsoever so that will be my first mission to ask if anyone has any knowledge or pictures internally of this model and get that one sorted before moving on to the others which I am waiting for belts for. Then onto old pioneer video 8 who's tape drive mechanism just scares me, it played momentarily after first connection now it doesn’t, found some broken plastic drive teeth/cogs no idea how to repair replace yet, but willing to learn.

Nice to meet you all, look forward to sharing some knowledge and keeping some old school tech alive

Mister X likes this.
  2. T-ster

T-ster Moderator Staff Member S2G Supporter

Welcome Rappzy, great to hear you dug out your old box of goodies. Unfortunately Aiwa's often have leaked capacitors from around that time so may need these replaced, but, lets hope some just need belts.

Lots of helful folk here to assist to :)

rappzy likes this.
  3. rappzy

rappzy New Member

Thanks T-ster for the info re capacitors, so far so good, the aiwa hs-p3x is working after changing belt its playing etc, just need to find where to solder the black wire connected to the rear case as it came loose.

4. T-ster

T-ster Moderator Staff Member S2G Supporter

Yeah I dont have a manual for that one either and I cant find one, will be worth throwing up a pic of the board/wire as Im sure we can figure out where it goes.

5. rappzy

rappzy New Member

Hi T-ster,

taken some pictures and uploaded. I am guessing and its only a guess that the black wire from the back plate should be soldered top middle of the circuit board where there is a gold arrow only because the solder blob below the arrow there looks different to all the others I prefer actuals to guesses though. Ideally need someone who has a p3x they can open and post a pictture with wire connected or the manual to be 100% sure. My feeling is that the black wire completes the antenna loop that you can see turns into a bar which is connected to another point on the pcb when the case is screwed in. I know the fm transmitter is working but you need to be darn close to pick up the signal and the little black wire is the key I think , or I could be completely wrong and its just an earth!
    20230406_113431.jpg 20230406_113440.jpg

Last edited: Apr 6, 2023
    Mister X likes this.
  6. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to the forum! I think the models with FM transmitter were only sold in Japan, is the info plate on the back in Japanese? It had to do with local radio laws so every country is different, I know we never had them over here.

You might want to repost in the Walkman Tech Section as well, you'll get a ton more eyes on the thread.

rappzy likes this.
  7. rappzy

rappzy New Member

Hi Mister X yes it's a japan only model that my father bougth for me back in 1984 from a Japanese friend he knew in London. Has the fm headphones in working order too, so old-school pre Bluetooth and is awesome. A license was required back then in the uk but I was a kid and did'nt take any notice of that sort of stuff. Will work out how to re post in the walkman tech section, just really need someone who has one to take a picture of the wire connected. I am scouring buyee.jp for manuals too but no luck so far. Thanks for the advice.

Mister X and Silver965 like this.
  8. Silver965

Silver965 Well-Known Member

Mister X and stuck-in-time like this.
  9. rappzy

rappzy New Member

10. stuck-in-time

stuck-in-time Well-Known Member

Glad I could help! I't's been a while since I last held this one, but I managed to find it and took a peek inside.

On mine the wire's connected to a point near the LED indicator light. On yours, there's already another wire there, but on mine that wire is connected on the same point as the other black wire just beside it.

photo_2023-04-07_03-32-26.jpg

rappzy likes this.
  11. rappzy

rappzy New Member

Oh wow, you sir are a super star, thank you so much, grabbing soldering iron right now

stuck-in-time likes this.
  12. rappzy

rappzy New Member

Now working with it's original headphones, need to find someone who is good with fm transmitters I remember the range of the Walkman being better but that was 40 years ago and we are spoiled with Bluetooth etc nowdays

Attached Files:

Mister X, Silver965 and stuck-in-time like this.
  13. stuck-in-time

stuck-in-time Well-Known Member

Very nice headphones! I was gonna test my unit's FM range, but it looks like i t will need another belt change after several years of not being played.

14. Silver965

Silver965 Well-Known Member

If you look a little further down than sony
    you see it next to a boombox
    just the blue one that @stuck-in-time showed you open
    anyway glad you fixed it

stuck-in-time likes this.
  15. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

In case you haven't seen it, old member The Lion has a killer website on AIWAs, careful, it's starting to get malware redirects, If anyone stays in contact with him, let him know!
    https://personalhifiblog.blogspot.com/