Sony WM-DC2 different version

Discussion in 'Chat Area' started by tomtom87, Mar 24, 2020.

1. tomtom87

tomtom87 Active Member

Hello,

I recently restored a DC2 but this one is quite different than the other one's. As already written about in some previous topics it has the early pointed head with Japan written on it. It also has a different door lock (aluminium) and a silver star on the front.

The strangest thing I noticed it de color difference between the front and the back (see photo's). Does anybody have thoughts about this?

86C9FB54-AF0F-4FD6-B3BB-00B55140BA2B.jpeg

97D47EF5-2CBE-4621-91A9-78041EDF3E9D.jpeg

F76B4826-EC64-4C5E-99EE-018656BC5D43.jpeg

B425FC84-14A2-45EF-9913-571B44049B8F.jpeg

87CDC8DF-C5BD-4CEC-9AF5-DDA92A7DD51A.jpeg 3A13489D-7369-4EA2-B3B4-C777866673B3.jpeg

Attached Files:

2. stuck-in-time

stuck-in-time Well-Known Member

I think I've read somewhere that units with the star are for the US market. There are also some units with a maple leaf for the Canadian market. I don't know how verifiable that is, but it does make some sense. As to why some units get this extra symbols and some don't is an even more vague question. I'd be very interested if anyone has a more credible explanation!

3. tomtom87

tomtom87 Active Member

You mean this thread? http://www.stereo2go.com/topic/index.php?content_oid=280654716568981258&board_oid=193392314111653425

Its still not a real explanation in that thread

stuck-in-time likes this.
  4. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

Your walkman parts are from different DC2s. That is why the color of door and back cover are different.
    People who sell walkman do these type of combination due to faulty/ broken parts. Probably the original acrylic glass was broken and they replaced with a different door.
    locks are also universal, most of DD walkman share same door lock with different color (black vs silver) so it can be replaced with different color. Sometimes the tip of lock is broken and it must be replaced with different lock to allow complete closure of the door.

5. tomtom87

tomtom87 Active Member

But the lock is not plastic but aluminium. And there never was a different color DC2 than black was there? I understand that things colored during time or where made in different badges with color difference, but not so much like this.

6. stuck-in-time

stuck-in-time Well-Known Member

7. Silverera

Silverera Active Member

The star is definitely US model and appears even on budget models like the WM-F16 which I had and sold recently. What is interesting is your low SN and the amorphous V Shaped head with "Japan" inscription. For me that means your DC2 is from the same year(s) of the early D6C units with 5 digit SN below 80 000. They generally have this head with the same inscription. I also agree with @Boodokhan because you see a lot of doors replaced due to the broken hinge problem. The lock may have come from an early DD as many of these had the silver aluminium lock and not black.

8. tomtom87

tomtom87 Active Member

Ok thanks for your information, but the color difference is really strange in my opinion. The dc2 is only produced black, why so much color difference?

9. Ken Duc

Ken Duc New Member

Here is mine. Opposite to your color :)) 2382180C-64A2-4A3B-9947-C5450562F819.jpeg

10. Emiel

Emiel Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

The parts must not have originated from the same production line?

stuck-in-time and Ken Duc like this.
  11. Ken Duc

Ken Duc New Member

I think that those DC2 were serviced by Sony at that times by replace cover

12. Silverera

Silverera Active Member

I'd be fairly sure that door is a replacement from a Black DD. I only have a silver DD in the collection but it does have the aluminium lock on that door. All other models such as DDII and DDIII have black locks.

13. Ken Duc

Ken Duc New Member

32A48173-C5D3-4410-9FF2-721BBD174009.jpeg
    I don't think so. because usually Dc2s is black, but my DC2’s body is light blue-black, and the lid is the correct black color commonly found on DC2s and has the same standard font included “DC2” text as the lids of other machines. The light black-blue body also prints the parameters as the body of the others.

14. Silverera

Silverera Active Member

Oh right. I didn't see that earlier image and it does have DC-2 on the door. Perhaps it was the lock only from a DD that was used on your cassette door to replace the original.

Ken Duc likes this.
  15. Ken Duc

Ken Duc New Member

Yes. Do you know what material silver lid latch is made of? I cannot distinguish. Some say it's plastic, some say it's aluminum.

16. Silverera

Silverera Active Member

I assume metal but I will ask my tech guy who restored it for me.

Ken Duc likes this.