Hello from Minnesota

Discussion in 'Introducing myself' started by kserenbetz, Jul 22, 2023.

1. kserenbetz

kserenbetz New Member

Hello,

I am a musician and I record my own music. I’ve long loved old field recordings, which often happened to be recorded on portable reel-to-reel and cassette decks. Chasing that sound led me to collect these machines and use them!

currently have a nagra 4.2, tascam 424mkii, Sony wmd6c, Sony tc-158sd, and marantz pmd220. Looking for guidance from the experts on here regarding upkeep, sound quality, and repairs. Thanks!

2. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to the forum, go figure, there are now two field recorder collectors in the land of Sky Blue Water. Let us know if you ever find/see one of the legendary Prince Recorders that he used to give out to his friends just in case they came up with something cool.

3. kserenbetz

kserenbetz New Member

Hello mister x! Who do you take your machines to for calibration?

4. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

If a unit is working, I tend to use it for a few months and then move onto something different. I'm not doing any field recordings, I usually rebelt, if it's too much trouble I just pull something else.

If I wanted one calibrated I could probably do it myself, I have an older tape test set unit that is pretty easy to dial in but very basic. I also have a very-high end 3m (Minncom) 8100A Wow and Flutter Meter, these went for over four grand when new and it can do a ton of readings. And lastly I have a set of TEAC Test Tapes, if you look around here you'll find where I posted a thread about them.