Sir Mikstape-a-Lot Mixtapes

Discussion in 'Cassettes & Mixtape exchange' started by Del-Uks, Sep 30, 2020.

1. Del-Uks

Del-Uks Member

[​IMG]
    Brainiac [3RA1N1AC] • Mixtape J-Card
    by Del-Uks, on Flickr

Brainiac [3RA1N1AC] Mixtape

30 years after their first concert on March 12th, 1992 - mind the precision - in the cafeteria of Wright State University (Dayton, Ohio), let me introduce you to my new mixtape, to experience the history of a band that quit existing very suddenly in May 1997.
    Only 5 years after this famous concert, the guitarist-singer of Brainiac [3RA1N1AC], Tim Taylor, was killed in a tragic car accident while his band was about to release its fourth album on a major label (Interscope Records).

The band's career comes to an abrupt halt after a noticed passage on the independent labels Grass Records, Touch & Go and Amphetamine Reptile and just before its “big break”.

Brainiac [3RA1N1AC], guided by Kim Deal (The Pixies / The Breeders), Eli Janney (Girls Against Boys), Steve Albini and Jim O'Rourke, is known for having influenced bands like At the Drive-In, Death Cab for Cutie, The Faint, The Mars Volta, Nine Inch Nails, etc.

In short, an essential rock band to (re)discover...

Brainiac [3RA1N1AC], The King of Pop !

2. Del-Uks

Del-Uks Member

Conan The Barbarian • Mixtape

[​IMG]
    Basil Poledouris | Conan The Barbarian • J-Card
    by Del-Uks, on Flickr

The first Marvel adaptation to be a cinematographic success, Conan The Barbarian, directed by John Milius and co-written with Oliver Stone, is a masterpiece rarely estimated at its true value.
    With its Wagnerian and Nietzschean inspiration, Conan has nevertheless become over the years the benchmark film in the "Sword-and-Sorcery" category.
    It is therefore a major film in the History of cinema and the music composed by Basil Poledouris is just as exceptional.
    Indeed, with its rare dialogues (most of which have become cult), Conan is also and above all a great emotional opera whose majority of the scenes are carried by the music of Poledouris, capable of transmitting a feeling of power, energy and brutality while preserving more harmonic moments.

Enjoy... "And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!"

[​IMG]

3. Del-Uks

Del-Uks Member

4. Del-Uks

Del-Uks Member

David Freel passed away on April 12th, 2022, at aged 64.
    David is loved and missed but never forgotten.
    David W. Freel January 31, 1958 – April 12, 2022

Requiescat in pace.

5. Del-Uks

Del-Uks Member

John Carpenter’s The Thing – 40th Anniversary Mixtape

[​IMG]
    John Carpenter’s The Thing - 40th Anniversary Mixtape J-Card
    by Del-Uks, on Flickr

Ennio Morricone :

I’ve asked [Carpenter], as he was preparing some electronic music with an assistant to edit on the film, “Why did you call me, if you want to do it on your own ?” He surprised me, he said – “I got married to your music. This is why I’ve called you.” … Then when he showed me the film, later when I wrote the music, we didn’t exchange ideas. He ran away, nearly ashamed of showing it to me. I wrote the music on my own without his advice. Naturally, as I had become quite clever since 1982, I’ve written several scores relating to my life. And I had written one, which was electronic music. And [Carpenter] took the electronic score.

John Carpenter :

[Morricone] did all the orchestrations and recorded for me 20 minutes of music I could use wherever I wished but without seeing any footage. I cut his music into the film and realized that there were places, mostly scenes of tension, in which his music would not work … I secretly ran off and recorded in a couple of days a few pieces to use. My pieces were very simple electronic pieces – it was almost tones. It was not really music at all but just background sounds, something today you might even consider as sound effects.

6. Wombat

Wombat New Member

Awesome work!

I am looking for guidance on how to make these...
    Is there a template available?
    Do I need Photoshop?

Any help would be appreciated!

7. Del-Uks

Del-Uks Member

Dear Wombat,

Thanks for your kind words and sorry for the late answer… I just come back from holidays.

I try to avoid “subscription business model” as much as possible so I don't use Adobe's app.

Since I have a Mac I use “Pages” to make all of my J-Cards.
    It's very easy to use and all you need is the exact dimensions of the J-Card you want to create.

By the way I use Pages '09 (version 4.3) because the following releases don't support “true black” and CMYK color for prints.

Hope this can be helpful…

Cheers,

Aleks

Wombat likes this.
  8. Del-Uks

Del-Uks Member

Snoop Dog Batman.jpeg

Mixtape modified to insert the excellent "Batman & Robin" of Snoop Dog, at the beginning of the B side...

9. Del-Uks

Del-Uks Member

10. Del-Uks

Del-Uks Member

11. Del-Uks

Del-Uks Member

12. walkman archive

walkman archive Administrator Staff Member

This is eye-catching!

Ok, so you are sharing these mixtapes but not literally with someone in particular but with everyone here, right? (I thought it was a mixtape you gave to a friend). So then, why not sharing the digital download, with good quality, through Google Drive, Dropbox or something so we can download it, print it and make your mixtape?

13. Frankable

Frankable Member

Just go to Del-Uks's site, and "all" your wishes will be granted...

14. walkman archive

Oh, great. I'll do :thumbsup2:

15. walkman archive

Is there I way to download the mix (I guess it's one single file for each side) in either compressed or uncompressed format? I only see a play button in the website and a link to Mixcloud. I'm looking at G n'R mixtape right now.

16. walkman archive

How can I download the mixtape from Mixcloud, @Del-Uks?