Back to the Audiophile Era of the '60s: Exploring the Philips N4408.

Discussion in 'Other formats: DCC, MD, Reel 2 reel, CD...' started by Retro Audio Museum, Aug 6, 2023.

Tags:
  1. Retro Audio Museum

Retro Audio Museum Well-Known Member

Philips N4408 HiFi Stereo Tape Recorder was a top-of-the-range device in the Philips range in 1967, and it was the dream of enthusiastic tape friends people. It was the successor to the EL3555/3575 series when Philips stopped making tube recorders.

N4408_03.jpg

A full stereo device based on the latest tape technology for this time allowed the ambitious tape amateur, as well as the discerning music lover, enables recording and playback in perfection. The tape recorder offers HiFi quality according to DIN 45500 (6dB), so the machine was made not only for home use but even for a studio. Together with the Philips High Fidelity low noise tape, even with a band speed of 9.5 cm/sec, real HiFi recordings were possible, providing a frequency response of 40 – 15000 Hz (40 – 18000 Hz at 19 cm/sec). This tape recorder offered a whole range of other technical advantages as well: two separate level meters for the two channels, (modulation display also during playback,) and the separate tone controls for treble and bass.

Probably the most interesting for the connoisseur was the automatic search and the function indicator The automatic search was a preselection counter, that automatically stops the tape at the preselected point on the tape. The function indicator provided information about the set operating mode using a light display. (Mono/Stereo, Record/Playback, or the selected track.)

The Philips N4408 fits well on the wall of shelves in the modern home because it was designed for both vertical and horizontal operation. At the bottom, Philips has fitted two extendable feet to support the recorder support when used upright. If you want to take the N4408 with you to your next party, the two separate speakers can be connected to the device to form a portable easy-carrying unit. And 6 Watts per channel was more than enough for a small private party with your friends!

Mister X and ianthepostie like this.
  2. Philip Taylor

Philip Taylor Active Member

Really nice . I have an Akai tape recorder now and quite a few pre recorded tapes including the Beatles . As a teenager I used to own a Philips recorder but not of the stand up type but I enjoyed using it although my taping skills were very amateur eg the top ten off the radio!

Retro Audio Museum likes this.
  3. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

Emiel and Retro Audio Museum like this.
  4. Retro Audio Museum

Retro Audio Museum Well-Known Member

Mister X likes this.