i found this Hitachi TRK 5190E i want to repair it

Discussion in 'I found this!' started by totalguy, Aug 15, 2023.

1. totalguy

totalguy New Member

I got given a Hitachi TRK 5190E i would liek to restore it best i can but ive never really worked on one of these before so it will be a new experience all round.

The radio works on FM the other bands dont work i dont think they are being used in the UK any more though. the tape player doesnt work it makes noises but that is it so i guess i need belts so a good place to start is finding those. The volume knob is noisy i guess some electrical contact cleaner may fix that though.

i found this thread on here https://stereo2go.com/forums/threads/hitachi-trk-5190-er-belt-placement.5616/ seems like i need 10.5 inch 4.0 inch and 6.9 inch not sure exactly what thay would convert to in the uk though.

anything else to look out for? seems like its going to be quite a task to get the belts fitted and sourcing them as well so i guess in the meantime i should take it apart and clean it.

what sort of cleaning products cani use on this? i dont want to take off any lettering etc of course but i want to clean it as best i can

I cant seem to upload photo's i checked the photo guide doesnt work. it just whirs a bit when i try to upload then does nothing i resized to 2000 x 1500 no joy

Attached Files:

Mister X likes this.
  2. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

In the old days of the forum there used to be some great threads on cleaning boomboxes, basically take everything apart and let the case soak in water with a touch of dish soap overnight. The old-old forum is long gone alone with any photos. I'd look over nickeccles Threads, he's a master at restoration and cleaning.

Take photos and label the screws when removing, you will forget, some are only millimeters different in sizing. Removing some parts from the case can be very time-consuming, do it with care, if a screw won't "crack" you may need JIS (Vessal) Screwdrivers. I don't know how you guys convert the belt sizes, I'd buy from somebody like FixYourAudio on our frontpage that has a set for this box.

I've always loved the look of this model, it's a killer 70's classic, someday I'll find one around here. Jorge also has a standalone website, I think there is more photos/info on the restoration process of his but I can't remember the address right now.

totalguy likes this.
  3. totalguy

totalguy New Member

oh apparently the photo's worked i didnt see anything saying they uploaded but i guess they did

ive cleaned it all up now looks a lot nicer took hours though. the mushy belts were a pain to chean all that black gunk but its done now unfortunately ive a slight issue i found a spring i dont know where it came from i checked the manual but couldnt figure it out ive got the service manual i uploaded as much of it as i can i had to split it up

Attached Files:

Mister X likes this.
  4. totalguy

totalguy New Member

lets try again ive uploaded all the p[arts except 2 pages that showed the back of the circuit board as i couldnt upload these as the files were way too big :( i will try to save them as photo's see if i can get the missing parts uploaded then

Attached Files:

Mister X likes this.
  5. totalguy

totalguy New Member

right i managed to take screen shots and got the rest of it :) hopefully someone knows where the little spring goes

Attached Files:

Mister X likes this.
  6. Mister X

That's a pretty big spring, if I had to guess I'd say somewhere on the metal transport to push the head (into/out of) position. It looks like there's a handful pictured on page 6 but I'm only seeing springs with hooks on the ends, yours looks like it is flat, maybe for inside a tube or wrapped around a screw?

Last edited: Aug 17, 2023
  7. Hyperscope

Hyperscope Active Member

The picture of the mystery spring is not very good. I can't tell if the spring has hooks on each end? Does it?

Hitachi-TRK-5190E-p7.pdf <--- if the spring has end hooks then this is the page with exploded parts diagram showing at least 14 small springs, at a casual glance. This is your best bet.

Take a better close up picture of the spring on a white sheet of paper so we can see it properly.

8. Radio Raheem

Radio Raheem Well-Known Member

Did you remove the heads or anything like that??? also press rew ff play see if the cassette buttons pop up on their own

9. totalguy

totalguy New Member

Yeah i did think it might be for the head to go in or out the rest are springs with hooks it seems,.

10. totalguy

totalguy New Member

i removed the cassette unit but i ddnt touch the head.

i took the flywheel out to clean that and i took off the pulley on the motor and there was a small pulley which i found goes on whats called the capstan it has a small belt on it that was off to be cleaned also

fwd and rewind and play go down and pop up normally those have springs like this but they are much longer and not listed on the manuasl probably because the cassette unit is just listed mostly as 1 part.

11. Mister X

Can you take a closer photo with a tape measure next to it?

12. totalguy

totalguy New Member

seems like its around 5mm maybe slightly less

Attached Files:

13. totalguy

totalguy New Member

while im here anyone know how i could do a bluetooth mod on this? not really looked for a module yet but i expect they are pretty cheap and small

also the perspex lens type things on 2 of the switches is cloudy is there a way to restore this? maybe headlight restoration liquid? or is there anything else i can use? i have a scratch pen for car scratches also

14. Hyperscope

Hyperscope Active Member

I kinda breezed over the service manual to see if I could find the mystery spring... to no avail. Why not reassemble and test? There has to be something not working right due to this missing spring.

Cassette2go likes this.
  15. Hyperscope

Hyperscope Active Member

For the scratched up plastic, what I use on occasion is Polywatch in the small white tube. It says on the tube "made in Germany" so it has gotta be good right? :wink2 Well, I thought it was mighty darn effective, put it that way. I used it on the Discman's D35 - and D-555 display windows to great effect.

The clear window on the Hitachi TRK 5190E cassette door looks badly scratched up too. It can be made new again with effort and planning. And practice. You may want to buy one of those small detailing polishing and buffing rotary tools. And check out other better polishing compound products. Chances are you have a lot of old hazy scratched up plastic that could benefit from full restorative polishing.

Radio Raheem likes this.
  16. Radio Raheem

Radio Raheem Well-Known Member

there is a possibility this spring was just floating around in there...why because it looks tiny and usually boxes from the 70's used much larger spring in there

Last edited: Aug 22, 2023
  17. totalguy

totalguy New Member

i am going to partially assemble it and try it because iys a pain in the ass to get to the cassette deck assembly if you fully assemble it. the belts arrived so fingers crossed its working

18. totalguy

totalguy New Member

ok update.....

fitted new belts tape plays just fine no wobbly sound or anything but i have a problem with the rewind and the fast forward. it runs for 1 second then it goes click click pop. the pop being the button popping up.

i guess i need to replace something else? i did clean everything as much as i could also sometimes fast forward would work other times it would be slow like its slipping or something

19. Hyperscope

Hyperscope Active Member

Maybe it is the idler tire slipping. Super common problem. Look for small rubber ring or washer on a plastic hub that moves when FF or RW are used and conveys rotation to the needed parts. It needs to be cleaned with Q-tip moistened with 70 alcohol. They say not to use 90%+ alcohol as it can dry out / damage the rubber. Once the dusty haze of old rubber is clean it should grip again and make the FF and RW work. Assuming this is the problem of course.

20. totalguy

totalguy New Member

Well someone suggested to stretch the belts so i carefully did that without taking it apart and that worked. it rewinds and fast forwards fine and review works but cue doesnt really work so maybe still a problem. ive only got 99% ipa so i dont want to go cleaning anything else now.

next thing is to figure out how i can bluetooth mod it thats going to be a challenge because all i know so far is i will need to power the bluetooth module from the mainboard somehow and then i need to find out where i can hook the bluetooth up which ive no clue at all on that.