Best repair services in the world

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by walkman archive, Jun 29, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Ken80s

Ken80s Well-Known Member

I never thought we have such a level of Walkman repair in my country. Watch one of his work and share your comments..

Boodokhan likes this.
  2. stereomecha99

stereomecha99 Active Member

So after almost exactly 3 years, I got my Walkman DD back from Sergi! Many things contributed to this... He's a busy man, but the extent of the damage was way more severe than on most DDs and there was a little pandemic during this period too!
    It's really something to hear this machine functioning as it is meant to again, and wow the audio quality is intense. Now to find a nice carry case for it!

Emiel likes this.
  3. Emiel

Emiel Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

It looks very thorough, nice and tidy! Question about the grease applied to the rotor and capstans, is that the right type?
    Seems very thick, ready to attract dust and other small particles. I would have expected a tiny drop of the right oil.

4. overmodulated

overmodulated Active Member

I don't know if this tech has been discussed or not, I didn't go through all of the pages on this thread.

If you're in the US I recommend Vosscollectibles on eBay offers portable cassette repair service. I just used him to rejuvenate my WM-D6C Walkman, and although not inexpensive he did rebate me $50 because mine did not need any capacitors or an extensive amount of repairs. He said it's one of the nicest ones he's ever worked on and that made me feel really good.

I have another one exactly the same except it's a low serial number with the pointy head, I'm sending that to him next. Just a great experience, and someone that answers all your questions, let you know where you're at with the repair, just a great guy.

by the way he repairs all brands of portables, and may offer other services as well.

Emiel likes this.
  5. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

I know this person through his YouTube channel and I didn't know he is in Malaysia, I thought he is from Hong Kong.
    Anyway, I sent him a message about sending him some of my walkman unit but he didn't respond. Do you know How I can get hold of this person?

6. Thomas Monteith

Thomas Monteith Active Member

Messaged Galaxy repairs here in the uk
    thanks for the help

7. Shaman32

Shaman32 Member

Ay up people!
    I don't want to blow my own trumpet,,, but let me share that I have detailed file's on a good amount of the maladies and cures for a number of faults tending to affect our beloved machines,,,,

I take a personal interest because I love good sounding machines usually I like to start with a client by discussing what the issues are.,

I know Panasonic's ,Sony's ( not dd's),,EX's,,,
    Aiwas and aiwasloads of em,, wonder if they 're still out there,,,
    F****** starting to detest the general disarray on fleabay,, don't wants to leave my all encompassing hobby,, but like I said any issues with your stuff. Try come pick my knowledge,, kind regards Shaman32warren

8. Thomas Monteith

9. Shaman32

Shaman32 Member

Oh greetings, where are you located,

10. Thomas Monteith

Hi mate
    central scotland in the Uk

11. Darkblade48

Darkblade48 New Member

Would love to know if there was a good referral for Canada!

12. Raul

Raul Active Member

What can I say about Valentin's service? You should know by now he is doing his best and really I've sent him Sonys (701C, F701C and WMF501) and they all returned in great condition. He is patient, talented and if there are problems he ask me what would I like (wait, sent donor, buy parts). I joked that if I send him donor walkman he makes work as good as new :)
    You know where my next package with walkmans for service goes :)

Emiel likes this.
  13. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

One of my friends and a Discman collector shared this info, hope it will be useful for US-based tape-lovers:

Babis “Bobby” Armakolas:
    Chicago, Illinois, USA
    Cell: 708-528-1523
    Email: barmakolas@gmail.com

Former Nakamichi Greece service center technician. Retains all test tapes and diagnostic equipment from his time at Nakamichi
    Repairs and services anything tape: component decks, open reel, 8-track, portable cassette players, car stereo decks, vintage “ghetto blasters” and general repair

italics and color-coding are mine :cool:

Thomas Monteith likes this.
  14. Jehr

Jehr New Member

Hey, responding to an old post here but I am in Ottawa, Canada and have repaired/restored a decent number of walkmans including WM-2/4/10/28/2091, WM-F12/F15/F41/F44/F45/F65/F80/F100III/F2015, WM-EX3/EX570/EX622/EX633/FX103, WM-D6, TCS-450, JVC CX-7. I am a hobbyist/collector (not a professional technician) but can tackle most issues using quality parts from fixyouraudio, new caps if needed, etc. Message me if you have any questions.