Sony WM-D6 no sound

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by Hook91, Sep 18, 2023.

Tags:
  1. Hook91

Hook91 New Member

Hello everyone
    Happy owner of a WM-D6 which needs to be refurbished, I come here to find some help to get it work.
    I’ve started by changing the main belt and it went well.
    All functions are working properly and cassettes are no longer eaten.
    I’ve cleaned the board with IPA.

However I can’t hear any song either from both earphones plugs or the line out plug.

what could cause the issue since I haven’t found anything that could help resolving this ?

many thanks !

Alexis

2. Deb64

Deb64 Active Member

Hello and welcome to Stereo2go.
    Your problem could be the CP301 muting module. The easiest way to check for this is to remove it.
    If the muting module has failed then you will get the sound back but you will also get some loud thumps on the output when starting and stopping the D6, especially if you are playing through an amplifier and speakers via the line out jack.

There are 5 potted modules on the D6 and they are all likely to be failing now as the D6 will be between 39 and 41 years old. I have replacements for the mute, EQ and CP601 modules available on Ebay but I cannot manufacture replacements for the CP602. This uses a chip (CX20024) which is no longer available. The good news is that it can be repaired using the method I have written up here:

Sony WM-D6 Motor runs fast; Repair of CP602 Servo Circuit Unit.

This may seem like a lot of work but it is well worth doing as the D6 is a very sweet sounding walkman when running properly.

Emiel and Valentin like this.
  3. Hook91

Hook91 New Member

Hello Deb
    First of all I’d like to thank you for your fast and very detailed answer.
    That’s what I feared but I didn’t know where to start.
    While I was confident to change the main belt, de soldering and soldering small pieces of electronic is beyond my skills :)
    I really want to get my Walkman back to work but I fear that I could create more damage by trying fixing it
    Is it a service that you propose since you sell the replacement chip (I’m base in France but willing to send my device)?
    Thanks again !

4. Deb64

Deb64 Active Member

@Hook91 I have just sent you a message.