CD revolutionized music industry 40 years ago

Discussion in 'Other formats: DCC, MD, Reel 2 reel, CD...' started by Emiel, Sep 20, 2023.

1. Emiel

Emiel Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

Here is the intro of an article recently posted on the site of the Philips museum:

"Today is a momentous day in the history of sound. For the first time, music can sound as pure in the living room as it does in the concert hall: with no background noise from the needle in the groove, dust, scratches or pits." With these words in full-page advertisements, the Compact Disc Digital Audio System was introduced to the European market by Philips on March 1, 1983.

Twenty years after the compact cassette became world standard, Philips had brought another world standard of sound to the market: the compact disc. After an arduous run-up, the small, silver disc conquered the world at a stormy pace and marked the transition from analog to digital music technology

[​IMG]

"Music box for the future" | Philips Museum

2. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

And here is how the media introduced it

This ABC report is excellent, and even ends up predicting the MP3 player.

3. radiorich

radiorich Active Member

Hello Emiel,
    I still enjoy My cd listening it is still my favorite media !

Sincerely Richard

Mister X and Emiel like this.
  4. Emiel

Awesome! I like CDs most when you can see them spin in the player!

Valentin likes this.
  5. TooCooL4

TooCooL4 Well-Known Member

Emiel, you will love the 47 Labs Flatfish CD player. :thumbsup2:

6. systemBuilder

systemBuilder New Member

First video @ 101s

I love how NONE of the initial CD players resemble the final player format, i.e. the automatic retracting drawer of a CD or DVD player in a computer today ...

Last edited: Sep 23, 2023
    Mister X likes this.
  7. Emiel

It looks great! Given the budget requirements, I am happy with the window of the 7F :).
    It sits on top of the DCC900 player, that literally dwarfs it.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2023
  8. soluna

soluna Active Member

CD here is an welcome medium, i made mix-CDs with some of my favorite songs for home HIFI - and i made mix-CDs with mp3-files for the little Sony-Compact in my sleeping room. (This Sony also can play cassettes, but disasterious engine - sometimes mechanic is louder than music... ). But i also made backups from my favorite CDs in mp3 to play them over COAX from PC to Home HIFI. My music databank would give different music for 31 years , then i`m 90, and the rest of live i can hear my Vinyl. ;-)))

9. Emiel

I’m looking for a way to save my CDs in good quality, while also getting the meta data. Happy to store in any format, preferably not MP3 (if MP3, highest quality) as I still need to purchase a disk for that purpose. Any recommendations?

10. radiorich

radiorich Active Member

Hello Emiel,
    Well my daily CD player is My Pioneer model P-D70 old school I do enjoy my Pionere elite 300 disc dvd and cd changer thou . but my old school P-D70 works like a champ .

AE_Stereo and Emiel like this.
  11. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

Was there much meta data on the original CDs other than a Table of Contents containing the number of tracks and where they start? I'm sure I have read that the audio is effectively one long track with spaces between songs. I also did some research on how they mastered CDs back in the days when computers memory was measured in Megabytes (my 486 PC came with a 170MByte hard drive; about 1/3rd of a CD). The answer I found was that they cut directly from a digital stream recorded on video tape e.g. using a Sony PCM-F1 which used the same 16 bits at 44.1K/S as CD despite preceding it. I guess the products were all developed in parallel. No point in designing a CD player if you can't master CDs to play on it.

Back to your question I have saved all my CDs as .wav files using Windows Media Center. .wav is probably the closest file format to what is on a CD. I figured I could easily go from .wav to other formats, but once data is thrown away as in MP3 you can never get it back.

AE_Stereo, Mister X and Emiel like this.
  12. soluna

soluna Active Member

If it isn`t not a special SACD, you haven`t such more informations about the songs, titels, ore any other. Place number and length is shown. I have made backups with Jet Audio, i theretimes still was able to get the full informations from the international music databank ( Album, interpret,titel, year, covers and so on ) linked inside the program and i have chosen different formats, like flac, mostly mp3 - 320 kbs. Some backups i made directly from my HIFI-CD-Player with soundcard of my PC and Audacity, and i corrected the infos with mp3tag. And some of the full albums i found in the web. For example on youtube with a special download manager - i use JDownloader (there you can choose only the audio files ). On youtube you mostly have m4a audio files - there are many programs to convert. But i use vlc to play it directly to my Home HIFI - i still haven`t checked any differences.
    By the way, with Linux you can install audio players, that can give you much of the song textes. It`s a little bit difficult to make this working on Windows.

Emiel likes this.
  13. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

Those were good times back in the 80's, audio was everywhere and CD was the latest and greatest. Initially the player's were silly money and the CDs were something like 2x the cost of an album. Around 86 I still didn't have friends with CD players mostly because they were only releasing classical and extremely main-stream pop. If you look at the BMG/Columbia House Thread, they didn't start pumping them out until the early 90's. By the mid 90's a portable was under $100 USD and the masses could own them.

I don't think it revolutionized the music industry at least not like Clear Channel did by getting rid of local radio and making it national around 1996 or MP3 which made it easy to copy and distribute music. It only made a different format that had "better" sonics, it still took 20 years to make an affordable recorder and the portable units stunk when shaken.

I still pick up bargain CDs, especially the 80's releases and I respect what they accomplished but sometimes I want the pop and crackle, and with a little ultrasonics, I can get rid of a lot of that.

14. soluna

soluna Active Member

Sometimes i still hear CDs, may be to appreciate my Technics CD-Player. This device is spectactular, - it was fallen from my bicycle during transport in the late 90-s, ( because of this it`s no longer exactly horizontal ) - and i put it to chill a while in the corner. After this i plugged it on again, and since then it`s playing without any issues... I bought it in 1994 - a SL-PG400A . I like such stuff !

Mister X likes this.
  15. Mister X

It looks like that Technics was put out in 1991 and retailed for 180 pounds, around $350 USD so it wasn't cheap. I was making about $4.25/hour back then, it would have taken me 2-3 weeks to make enough but there's no way I would have spent it on a CD player with my limited budget.

I've got an earlier one, I think it's the P1 or P2 from 1985. I always like the way it looked so I held on to it, one of these days I'll see what parts it needs. My office player is a DBX Dx-5 but even that needs a new belt now, it has the cool red LEDs that some equipment had back then.

16. AE_Stereo

AE_Stereo Member

I have both Sony D5 and its Pioneer version, PD-C7, which were the very first portable CD players.

The PD-C7 still works happily with CD-Rs, which was not even invented at the time when the PD-C7 was designed.

17. Mister X

AE_Stereo, I think you wrote this a few years back, I was wondering did the Pioneer CD Player come with the boombox? I'm assuming you had to pay extra for the CD player and didn't get a "deal" if you bought the boombox. I passed one of these up a few months ago, I had no idea it was a rebadge Sony on top.

[​IMG]

18. AE_Stereo

AE_Stereo Member

Amazed to see that you remembered my old post.

As to the question ... did the Pioneer CD Player come with the boombox? ...:
    It must have been the other way around, that the CK-W700 and CK-R500 came with an optional CD Player.
    In fact Pioneer made a dock for the detachable CD player in their latest boomboxes, immediately after the release of CD Players in the market. The CD Player alone was costing more than the Boombox itself at that time.

P1.jpg P2.jpg

It must have been a costly task for Pioneer to develop their own CD player initially at that time, being a low volume manufacturer.
    So they must have gone ahead with rebranding of Sony's product, Sony being the co-developer of CD along with Philips.
    Sony would have developed the portable CD Player immediately after releasing the very first home CD player, with an eye on the Walkman market.
    It must have been a real difficult challenge then to make a compact version of the bulky and heavy standard CD player.

I had the Pioneer CK-R500 with single Cassette deck in the late 80's, but didn't have the CD player back then.
    Recently, I acquired a NIB Pioneer CK-W700 and also collected both Sony D5 and Pioneer PD-C7 players.

The Sony D5 also docks and plays in the Pioneer dock seamlessly.

Radio Raheem likes this.
  19. Radio Raheem

Radio Raheem Well-Known Member

jvc made the same thing i guess they were all in each others pockets or sony made both of them:wink:

20. Mister X

There's a good short thread over on AK about Pioneer's First CD Player, it's interesting because some were never made or were prototypes. I wonder if having to tie yourself to another company actually worked good for the original manufacturer.
    https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/pioneers-first-cd-player-is-the.84124/

I have a feeling that trying to make a competing format was big-big money and buying into the system was a much better deal. This was also the same time as Beta/VHS so the research dollers were flowing like wine and the payback period hadn't started yet.