Toshiba RT-SF16 / RT-F453D wanted

Discussion in 'Gear you want' started by jade_mhp, May 9, 2023.

1. jade_mhp

jade_mhp New Member

Hi everyone,

Hope this is OK to post here, but I wondered if this group may be able to please help me? My name is Jade and I'm working on a TV series (UK based) on the Lockerbie bombing. I'm looking for a couple of the original Toshiba cassette players for some drama recon filming, and wondered if anyone here has any pointers for where we may be able to track these down? Or possibly have one they are willing to sell or hire?

1) Toshiba RT-SF16 BomBeat SF16 (also looking for more references of box + the manual)
    *80% of these were exported to Libya, which has made this trickier!

2) Toshiba RT-F453D, also referred to as the Bombeat 453

Just out of interest if anyone has any collector contacts in the Middle East/know of any museums [worldwide] which may hold these cassettes/other forums which may be useful - please get in touch too!

If we can't find the originals, then the team will look into adapting other versions/possibly even 3D printing certain elements. But ideally the team would love to see how feasible it would be to get the identical ones first.

Thank you in advance if you'd be able to help! Message me and I can get back to you via email

Attached Files:

2. Karen Henley

Karen Henley New Member

Hi Jade, did you have any luck with this?

3. SteveH

SteveH New Member

Hi Jade, I am now retired. I was the forensic photographer that worked on the Lockerbie investigation. I was based at RARDE, Fort Halstead, near Sevenoaks, Kent. The radio cassette you are looking for is extremely hard to find. I have tried to get one over the years and have not succeeded.
    I worked closely with Dr Tom Hayes and Alan Faraday throughout the enquiry and took nearly 4,000 photographs for that investigation.
    If I can assist your work on this project please do not hesitate to contact me.
    Kindest regards, Steve Haynes