WM-10 3D printed parts progress

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by Squiggly, Jan 1, 2023.

1. Squiggly

Squiggly Member

its a little messed up, iirc i was attempting to curve the top area inwards to give some space but had some finicky software issue that kept me from attempting what method i was trying
    if you really need it i can try cleaning it up a tad so my aforementioned solution might make it usable, though no telling how accurate it is since i was measuring in the .1mm range with making the model
    345644565465.JPG
    also if youre going to try printing this id recommend having an ~8k ish resolution resin printer, ive only used my 8k one to print these parts so i dont know how any accurate a printer of a lower resolution would do with these small parts. plus some stronger-than-average resin, since this is a mechanical part

2. Darkblade48

Darkblade48 New Member

Would love to get the STL or even the CAD file of this, if possible! Following this thread very closely

3. Squiggly

Squiggly Member

ill clean up the file a bit and ill see to uploading it on a google drive for you

4. Squiggly

Squiggly Member

5. Steve Grant

Steve Grant Member

Impressive work. How about duplicating the tiny buttons on higher end Aiwa walkman? It seems there are few units with all of them.

6. Squiggly

Squiggly Member

well currently i just have quite the uh, extensive (750 dollar) shopping list so im holding off getting new players right now (oscilliscope and other various tools)
    plus im already falling behind on finishing my negligible amount of parts. though once i finish these, if people want to send me parts to replicate i dont see why not

7. Squiggly

Squiggly Member

oh and just for whoever is interested in the cover, this is the template im trying and i got the materials ordered. gonna be a week
    think im going to fashion it into a stamp-press later since itd be more accurate but this is just for testing the font im trying out
    ps got busy with life stuff but im back on this project now, college planning just had me stressing
    testtemplate.JPG templatedraft.JPG
    ill post an update next week after the things arrive, got the font figured out so hard part is over now

Last edited: Dec 1, 2023
  8. mattb1970

mattb1970 Member

With CAD skills and a can do attitude like this, you might be better off as an entrepreneur! (rather than college)
    Really impressed.

9. Squiggly

Squiggly Member

maybe its me being a perfectionist but i dont think my modeling skills are all that good yet. though i still got time to perfect it as i have several models that i want to finish (wm-7 is next in line)
    also figure i should show the final model/assembly right quick, plus the slide/switch piece that i just started on since i had some time to burn waiting on shipping
    1545443654.JPG 15351531ture.JPG *little janky looking but im planning on redesigning it
    5858568568568.JPG *back part of this isnt finished yet

Valentin likes this.
  10. Squiggly

Squiggly Member

narrowly avoided a big waste of time making a copy of every piece i printed
    IMG_9774.jpg
    i was intending to test out the polish and paint separately, but guess ill just try both at once

Last edited: Dec 15, 2023
  11. Squiggly

Squiggly Member

so, to be totally transparent
    IMG_9776.jpg IMG_9779.jpg
    harr harr

they actually look and fit a lot better than expected, gonna have to sand the cover a bit as an attempt at polishing it up to be shinier, then hopefully get around to painting it. gonna start that tomorrow but its looking pretty nice so far
    (ps i tested it on my actual f10 cover and no, the letters dont line up, ima have to re-model and print it later but this is good for comparing the paint and font)

12. Squiggly

Squiggly Member

oh and i reprinted the cover so its the revised version, corrected the measurements a tad so its not as tight. easily snaps in and out of place while still remaining firmly in place
    so far as that goes, thats pretty much finished
    IMG_9780.jpg though the rough surface bugs me to a degree i cannot put into words (polishing is a must)

Hyperscope and Emiel like this.
  13. Squiggly

Squiggly Member

alright, i went ahead and tried painting it after realizing i dont even have the tools to polish something this damn tiny (dont know how i didnt realize earlier). looking into getting some sort of dremel
    so, problems, the tolerances are way too tight, first one i tried snapped as i was fitting it, then after being more careful to put the second one on and painting the letters it turned into a blurry goopy mess, so i just wiped it off then tossed those

ima have to try the printing-press thing i was thinking of doing, though im going to shelf this a bit so i can finally finish this gear (think thats what most people want to see finished anyways)
    as for the cover- ill come back to it after the gear, if i can get it polished atleast, i think itll be a good enough replacement piece to list for sale on ebay (~20 bucks most likely, but id rather wait until i got paint figured out)

gonna print the gear out in the following days just to check the teeth width/length/gap etc and reel diameter match up properly first, and go from there

Last edited: Dec 16, 2023
    Raul and mattb1970 like this.
  14. Hyperscope

Hyperscope Active Member

I just wanted to say some words of support and encouragement here! I like to see such 3D printed parts being made :thumbsup: Especially by someone with dedication to "getting it right". A labour of love for sure. Now these files will be available for future restorers.

Raul likes this.
  15. Squiggly

Squiggly Member

ya my goal is these parts being available for whoever might need them, nothing more annoying than finding a model in perfect physical and mechanical shape just to have it missing that plastic battery cover. though my desire for perfection has made this take a little while
    much appreciated though. hope by time im in college i can manage doing it a little quicker than i have been and start on some other models

mattb1970 likes this.
  16. Squiggly

Squiggly Member

alright so i got the model ready to try out after holiday stuff is over (~4 days)
    got a little distracted trying to train this ai model i installed, my bad
    geartheory.JPG gluelol.JPG
    so the idea is i slimmed the inside diameter down a tad so the glue can cover more of it and primarily harden towards the top where the metal piece tapers off a bit. plus cut it in half so it can just be slid on either side, making easy to install and no plastic cracking issues
    coat it with a little grease and it should theoretically last a pretty long time (i cant predict what wear is like without years of testing it, so rather play it safe)

Emiel likes this.
  17. Squiggly

Squiggly Member

well, on a positive note the teeth (count) and gear diameter are correct
    IMG_9819.jpg
    on a negative note, for the most part its just not wide enough, and i need to place a cutout for the metal lip to hold it in place, then remodel that overhang bit a little better. plus i need a new fep film for my resin vat as its damaged
    also i just got a car which needs a little work, so ill be occupied for a little bit. ill work on this off and on meanwhile trying to correct the model but ima take my time until i can get it properly finished, hopefully
    anyways, will post on here again when i have an update worth posting

mattb1970 and Emiel like this.
  18. Darkblade48

Darkblade48 New Member

I must say, I am following this thread very closely, as are a lot of people, I'm sure! Excellent work!

Raul likes this.