Aiwa Series 30 Mini Hi-Fi System (1980) - January 2019

Discussion in 'Home Audio Gear Chat Area' started by nickeccles, Jan 20, 2019.

1. autoreverser

autoreverser Well-Known Member

ha, that is all huge crap !

C1554F09-E351-4198-81CF-BF7AB049512F.jpeg C9EBF170-C8AA-4B08-9FEB-FBA8037C2453.jpeg

Mister X likes this.
  2. autoreverser

autoreverser Well-Known Member

b.t.w. that record on the turntable is a stamp, 6.5 cm diameter, even works and contains the Buthan national antemn

Mister X likes this.
  3. Aiwa Owner

Aiwa Owner New Member

Hi Nick, This is a brilliant thread for me and I love the excellent photographs. I have one of these systems complete with power amp and a set of Aiwa SC-E50Y speakers, all purchased in Japan in 1980. The woofer foam surrounds have perished and I have ordered a set of replacements with glue. This has spurred me to consider repairing the tape unit which is the only other part of the system that is broken. I assumed it was down to drive bands, but thanks for drawing attention to the idler and flywheel rubbers. I would be most grateful if you could tell me where to get a set of replacement belts/tyres and for any other photos of the assembled drive arrangements. I appreciate this a cold thread but do hope you are a frequent used. Very Best wishes Martin in Somerset P.S> I have also sent a PM

Mister X likes this.
  4. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

5. Aiwa Owner

Aiwa Owner New Member

Hi Mister X, thanks for that helpful steer. Unfortunately we have no electronics related photos from our trip. I was in the Royal Navy, embarked in the Royal Fleet Auxiliary OLWEN when we visited Yokosuka and Nagasaki and 8 of us bought similar systems from the USN PX (discount store for the military). We had a line of 8 small cabins for RN officers and each morning our steward would delight in loading the same ELO tapes to 8 systems and starting them as quick as possible. A weird loud slightly out of synch memory that will last for ever.

Mister X likes this.
  6. Mister X

That's funny, great story! I could see someone putting together a great book with similar stories of buying equipment in Japan, including cameras, and sharing the stories and photos. It was a fascinating time in history and with "vintage stereos" being ultrapopular right now, I think there would be a lot of interest.

Have you seen cassette2go's photos? I love these.
    https://stereo2go.com/forums/thread...-took-pics-of-stuff-he-could-not-afford.7106/

7. Aiwa Owner

Aiwa Owner New Member

Loved these, very similar to HK and Singapore where there was also a abundance of duty free outlets. The other shopping quest we had was for a basket to go on the front of my wife's pink Honda Chaly step through 50cc moped. Not available in UK but we found a shop in Nagasaki with one fitted to a moped and after a lot of smiling and sign language they realised we only wanted the basket not the moped. Thought we would be shown the door, but no they were more than happy to agree a price and it was removed and lovingly packaged with pretty paper and a ribbon. Lovely polite friendly people.

Mister X and Longman like this.
  8. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

Since the link to the catalogue seems to have broken, I think it is time to fire up paperless printer
    Aiwa-Mini-Component-Systems-Catalog-1981.pdf.jpeg Aiwa-Mini-Component-Systems-Catalog-1981.pdf0001.jpeg Aiwa-Mini-Component-Systems-Catalog-1981.pdf0002.jpeg Aiwa-Mini-Component-Systems-Catalog-1981.pdf0003.jpeg Aiwa-Mini-Component-Systems-Catalog-1981.pdf0004.jpeg Aiwa-Mini-Component-Systems-Catalog-1981.pdf0005.jpeg Aiwa-Mini-Component-Systems-Catalog-1981.pdf0006.jpeg Aiwa-Mini-Component-Systems-Catalog-1981.pdf0007.jpeg Aiwa-Mini-Component-Systems-Catalog-1981.pdf0008.jpeg Aiwa-Mini-Component-Systems-Catalog-1981.pdf0009.jpeg Aiwa-Mini-Component-Systems-Catalog-1981.pdf00010.jpeg Aiwa-Mini-Component-Systems-Catalog-1981.pdf00011.jpeg Aiwa-Mini-Component-Systems-Catalog-1981.pdf00012.jpeg Aiwa-Mini-Component-Systems-Catalog-1981.pdf00013.jpeg Aiwa-Mini-Component-Systems-Catalog-1981.pdf00014.jpeg

Attached Files:

9. MikeWalkman

MikeWalkman New Member

20240113_150300.jpg Hello my dear friends and vintage audio lovers!
    I have two this beautiful units to sale due to transfer to another continent. There is 110V not 220V so I can't take them with me. If someone is interested in Deal, You can write me pm for other information. Actually I live in Italy till March '24. View attachment 43927

10. Mister X

You might want to place them down in the for sale section for more eyes.

Good luck on your move!

MikeWalkman likes this.
  11. MikeWalkman

MikeWalkman New Member

Thank you for you advice! I have posted in sale section.

Mister X likes this.