Problem TPS-L2

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by Helabaa, Feb 7, 2024.

1. Helabaa

Helabaa New Member

Hi

Could someone please help me with Sony TPS-L2

Was eating tape and i replaced the belts and idler rubbers, but problem stays the same.... The whole mechanic can not produce the power to rotate the table reel... The smallest idler is slipping to that table reel cog... The table reel has to many resistance, and turn not smoothly (have oiled at top by lifting the top) ... How can i solve this? I have no clue at all to make that table reel turning free of resistance, nor how to dismantle it.... Sorry if this is a stupid question, but i am not very experienced.....
    1000x thanks in advance !!!

2. Valentin

Valentin Well-Known Member

You need to clean the old grease in the reel bushing, by using thin pieces of cotton and alcohol.
    Ideally, the shaft should be removed and everything cleaned thoroughly, but in the case of TPS-L2 that requires removing a brass retainer which is a very tight press fit. Don't try to do that, you won't succeed without a special press.
    So dip alcohol in there, let it soften the old grease and then with thin pieces of cotton clean both above where the reel is and below inside the mechanism.
    After it becomes somewhat free to turn, you can add oil, rotate it and then repeat the process until you get it to turn as freely as possible.

@Mister X Please move this to the walkman section.

3. Helabaa

Helabaa New Member

Dear Valentin, thank you for your kind answer!! I understanding what you are saying, but do not know how... Must i dismantle something on the table reel ( cassette side)? Pic 1
    And how to get to the shaft on the inside? Pic 2 IMG_20240207_201116.jpg IMG_20240207_201050.jpg

4. Valentin

You get a piece of cotton, immerse it in alcohol and get it between the reel and brass bushing (this is in the casssette compartment).
    For the other side, you need to get the piece of cotton underneath the white gear.
    You don't disassemble anything because as said disassemblying this takeup reel assembly is not an option unfortunately.

5. Helabaa

Helabaa New Member

Hi Valentin, i am very thankful for your prompt and fantastic answer!
    But , i think by myself that i must be an idiot...... How in Gods name can i place a piece of cotton underneath the white gear...?? There is almost no room..... You must be a real magician Valentin.... Respect!!!

6. Valentin

Let's ignore the previous statement.

To make it clear and simple, focus on the following 2 options:
    1. Remove the entire reel assembly highlighted in attached picture. It's held in by 3 screws. This will give significantly more access to the bottom part of the bearing.
    2. Use a sewing thread instead of cotton, as this will make things much easier with the assembly in place.

When I did this process, I opted for 1. The second option will likely also work, but it will be a bit more problematic to oil be bearing after cleaning.

P.S.: No need to thank me, say Hi at every post or say my answer is "fantastic". If you think I say something dumb, simply say it. Errors can happen.
    I do not have a disassembled TPS-L2 in front of me now and was living with the impression there's a bit more space than it actually is.

Attached Files:

7. Helabaa

Helabaa New Member

Oh oh... I will try option 1 , as it looks the better and easiest way to access ...
    And ,sorry, but i am serious about the complements!! It is great to have this kind of help !!
    If i not succeed, i will ask Marian from fixyourgear to repair, as i have other walkmans that need a resto too...

Last edited: Feb 8, 2024
    Valentin likes this.
  8. Helabaa

Helabaa New Member

Valentin, i just looked closely to it, and i do not want proceed because it is to difficult for me..... As i found out out that you also do repairs, i will ask you... Thx

9. Valentin

Want to update this thread, as in the meantime I serviced this TPS-L2 myself.
    Problem turned out to be a broken clutch gear, issue which was pointed out by a couple of other members in different threads.
    Don't think it's a very common problem, but something to be aware of.

More details in the dedicated thread: https://stereo2go.com/forums/threads/tps-l2-broken-clutch-gear.9534/