Hello! New Here!

Discussion in 'Introducing myself' started by soundslikespace, Feb 13, 2024.

Tags:
  1. soundslikespace

soundslikespace New Member

Hello! I'm a new user here!

I'm the right age where I saw boomboxes around as a kid and wanted to own one, but by the time I had my own money, most people had switched to CDs. I had a few decent CD component systems, but never anything too impressive.

I'm interested in getting one or two good quality boomboxes from the late 70s or 80s now. Because of the price, I think I will have to buy stuff that needs belts replaced or a few other minor repairs.

I'm trying to decide what brands/models I like best.

I want to be able to play cassettes, but also an Ipod classic or turntable through RCA cables. Or I might try to use phone/bluetooth adapter.

I just got an Aiwa CS-600 yesterday, but it needs new belts and maybe some other work.

I just wanted to introduce myself before I start asking a lot of questions : )

2. Helabaa

Helabaa New Member

Warm welcome ! Fantastic first post !

soundslikespace likes this.
  3. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

Before I had any, I always wanted to get AIWA's, they used to have a mystic around them and I loved the small buttons that were plastered all over the portables. The CS-600 is a great start for a collection and you can use the AUX in to play other equipment. Some boomboxes do not have a PHONO in so you'll have to get a preamp, they go from cheap to expensive. I also recommend a Vessel Screwdriver Set, the Japanese Screws are a little different from Philips and will strip if you use a Philips Bit.

https://www.amazon.com/Precision-Sc...R6cSwhAMV_UhHAR1MxAfGEAQYAiABEgLJd_D_BwE&th=1

4. soundslikespace

Yeah, there is just something good looking about a lot of the Aiwa boxes.

Thank you very much for the screwdriver tip! I noticed there might be something different about the screws... Like they need a phillips head screwdriver, but one that is not quite as sharp as the screwdrivers I have right now.

I actually Googled "Japanese Electronic Screwdriver Set" recently, but didn't find any definite answers.

I'll pick up one of those screwdriver sets you recommended.

5. radiorich

radiorich Active Member

Hello soundslikespace,
    Welcome aboard and yes Japanese Electronic Screwdriver Set"
    Vessel is the brand that I have been using for years and when I has still a authorized Service center and dealer for Sony a good set of these were worth their weight in gold .
    vessel.jpg

6. soundslikespace

Thanks everyone! I have a set of the Vessel screwdrivers on the way. : )

7. Cassette2go

Cassette2go Well-Known Member

https://www.youtube.com/user/Cassette2Go/videos
    I have repaired the Aiwa CS-600 view my videos, see above^ :)

8. soundslikespace

That's cool you fixed it! I don't see any recent videos on your channel that mention the Aiwa CS-600 in the title. Which video should I look at?

9. soundslikespace

That's cool you fixed it! I don't see any recent videos on your channel that mention the Aiwa CS-600 in the title. Which video should I look at?

10. Hyperscope

Hyperscope Well-Known Member