Hello from Barrie, Ontario

Discussion in 'Introducing myself' started by ikonw8, Feb 3, 2024.

1. ikonw8

ikonw8 New Member

Hey everyone,

Love repairing vintage electronics, and have a Sony WM-F10, Sony WM-D3 a Sony sport walkman and a number of shortwave radios in my collection. I also work on bigger stuff too.

Fun hobby.

ikonw8

Papa and Mister X like this.
  2. CoGoNYC

CoGoNYC New Member

Hey man I have an f10. It’s working (not great, but working) but it needs a tune up/overhaul.

It makes a ton of noise, and the sound quality is mid at best, but there is some sort of problem with the lid Closing correctly or not tightly enough that it causes the circuit to be incomplete. i have sent you a video attached here, take a look and see what you think.

It obviously needs a tuneup and the heads cleaned and the belts changed and all that standard tuneup type stuff. I don’t think anyone’s really messed with it in 40 years ever. It’s also missing a tiny screw from the back which I bet is relatively easy to replace.
    Here is a video that shows the lid issue and how loud it is.
    https://www.icloud.com/attachment/?...XP_rhLMpAXOc3pmlzg&f=IMG_9056.mov&sz=41981717

Would love your thoughts.

3. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to the forum, please add some photos, we love looking at old equipment. I don't have any shortwave stuff but lot's of multi-band radios like the Zenith Transatlantic and some small Sony ICF's.

4. ikonw8

ikonw8 New Member

Hi CoGoNYC - a few things:

1. Yes, it is in need of belts, cleaning and lubrication.
    2. What does the mechanism sound like without a cassette in it? Wondering if you have a cracked gear.
    3. The lid is probably fine (housing the FM Radio). When you are pressing down, I suspect you are making / breaking a contact either at the battery terminal or at the headphone jack. Both are prone to stress cracks or becoming loose.

ikonw8

5. Papa

Papa Member

Hello iknow8, I live just north of you & work in Barrie.
    I have a couple Pioneer SK-95's I may have to talk with you about if this is something your into?
    Welcome this is a great place to hang.