Ian MacKaye & Jeff Nelson of Minor Threat, 1982

Discussion in 'Sightings in TV/Film/Print' started by smeltedcheese, Feb 29, 2024.

1. smeltedcheese

smeltedcheese New Member

Is that a Silver or maybe a Montgomery Ward aka?

tumblr_ollgy9XTJr1uj46r3o1_1280~2.jpg

Mister X likes this.
  2. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

I love these old photos, so much going on, unfortunately I never got to see Minor Threat back then but I did see the Necros in a basement college venue with about 40 other people.

Van's, Thrasher and Action Now Stickers. None of the punks I knew would have an AC/DC Sticker, it was the polar opposite of what they stood for but I loved it all! Some of my first collecting was Skateboarding/Action Now Magazines from the later 70's! I still have a small stack of early Thrasher's, I used to sell them at my ramp.

smeltedcheese likes this.
  3. smeltedcheese

smeltedcheese New Member

Awesome! I never saw them either but did catch some DC bands of the era like Marginal Man and Government Issue. I can sort of imagine MacKaye liking AC/DC. He has said that before he discovered punk, he was a big Ted Nugent fan. ;D

Mister X likes this.
  4. Mister X

Ted used to live down the highway in Jackson Michigan and he'd put on a winter tour called Whiplash Bash. He'd sell out all the mid-size ice arenas and it was a killer show. He would sit about 200' away from the drummer and shoot an apple, with an arrow, on the guys head! You don't see that nowadays. A lot of the punks liked metal but wouldn't admit it.

I was lucky to live by the campus and had a 1/2 pipe, all the punks would come over before a show and we head to see shows, those were good times, Black Flag, Circle Jerks, Samhain and my favorites Naked Raygun.

5. smeltedcheese

smeltedcheese New Member

Sounds like an amazing, fun time. Things were different with the clear lines drawn between punks and metalheads (although Motorhead seemed to be one band both camps agreed on). Then thrash, "crossover," grindcore, and death metal happened, and everyone embraced unity in the mosh pit. Or at least that's how I remember it.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2024
  6. Mister X

One of our local clubs, my buddies say I was here but I don't remember this one.

This place was down the street from my old house, I remember they only sold about 30% of the venue, I was too young/broke to go.