Alba PCD 414 help

Discussion in 'Discmans, Minidisc, DCC and other players' started by Marie_H, Mar 1, 2024.

1. Marie_H

Marie_H New Member

Hi everyone

I've just repaired my first ever Sony walkman cassette and now want to move onto my portable CD player.

Any advice on where I can find a service manual or any advice per se?

It spins (sometimes uninvited) but won't play the CD.
    I've cleaned the lens with isopropyl alcohol but no joy.

Many thanks in advance
    (I'm a complete beginner).

2. Hyperscope

Hyperscope Well-Known Member

It is often difficult to obtain service manuals even for big name brand "Discman" players. Google is the best place to start though.

But in regards repair, the portable CD players are much more complex and troublesome to work on than Walkman's. There is a lot that can go wrong. On the other hand, sometimes an easy fix is possible, there are contacts to check and clean, the Play button itself might be sticky or need contact cleaning, battery contacts loose or corroded, insufficient power is being supplied maybe. Gears could be stuck like glue from grease gone bad or the sled that moves the laser could be off the track somehow, a plastic piece could be cracked somewhere etc,.

I note that, while searching on Google, Alba PCD 414 comes up with one on sale right now at e-bay UK for £9.47. The seller says is tested and working: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/276099920420

No doubt I will get excoriated for suggesting that it is much easier to simply buy another identical unit than try to repair. But this is one quite sensible option in my opinion.

Jorge and Mister X like this.
  3. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

I haven't worked on a CD player in years but sometimes the track the lens rides on gets gummy when the lube gets old, does the lens look like it's moving freely?

4. Marie_H

Marie_H New Member

Hi, I can't see if the lens is moving - not sure how to tell.
    Is the track the coil like part? Do I lube it or use alcohol?
    I have some Kryonaut thermal grease that I used on an old laptop several years ago (actually forgotten what it's for).

Appreciate any help. Thank you

5. Marie_H

Marie_H New Member

Hi
    You won't get excoriated by me.
    Would cleaning contacts involve using alcohol?
    Is it safe to just clean everything with alcohol in the hope something works?

I know zero about CD's, just love dismantling things and trying to figure it out.

Appreciate your help

6. Valentin

Valentin Well-Known Member

What is to be checked first on a CD player are the basics:
    - does the disc spin at high enough speed ? If it's rotating but very slowly there's a problem.
    - does the laser power on ? CD lasers emit mostly infrared light, but there is also a small part in the visible red spectrum.
    This is best checked with a phone camera which can detect infrared light.
    - does the lens move up and down trying to focus on the disc ?

All these can be observed by opening the door and running the unit with door opened.
    There is most likely a door closed swich which will need to be closed for the unit to turn on with door opened.

Jorge likes this.
  7. Marie_H

Marie_H New Member

Thank you but I don't know enough to be able to locate a 'door closed switch' and can't get it to spin without a CD inserted.

8. Valentin

Unfortunately, in order to get a direction for the repair you need to check those things.
    From what I see this player is a late generation one, so problems like old grease, button oxidation are less likely.

See picture attached for button location, it's most likely the one on the right.

Attached Files:

Jorge likes this.
  9. Marie_H

Marie_H New Member

Thank you.

10. Marie_H

Marie_H New Member

Brilliant direction - so I can see the infrared light and the lens moving up and down.
    It spins very slowly for about 30 seconds then stops.

Major prob? I really want to solve it - but possibly don't know enough. My next move was white lithium.

11. Valentin

You need to investigate why the spindle turns slowly as that seems to be the main problem.
    Spindle should rotate fast 2-3 times, even if there is no RF present (no disc inserted).
    Check if the spindle motor turns freely by hand, otherwise it might need lubrication.

As for the sled worm gear, you can disassemble the unit and check manually if the sled is able to move freely.

P.S.: You do not need to quote previous messages. Rather, recommend typing in the box below the post and use "Post Reply" button, not the "Reply" button on previous post.

Jorge likes this.