Solder Station Recommendations

Discussion in 'Chat Area' started by antm4n, Mar 13, 2024.

1. antm4n

antm4n New Member

Hi All

Looking for some solder station recommendations. I was looking at a Hakko fx-888d or Weller WE 1010. Hakko is £170 & Weller £150. I've had a cheap (maplin) digital solder station that I bought, it broke, but I couldn't return because maplin went bust. I've 'managed' with a standard no temp soldering iron for too long now.

I've just got a couple of discmans to repair, renewing capacitors I hope, don't really want to spend the thick end of £150+. I've seen RS solder stations and others but don't want to fall into the buy cheap, buy twice trap again, what are peoples recommendations? Thank you in advance.

2. Recaptcha

Recaptcha Well-Known Member

I have an FX-888d, can't say enough good things about this station. It's easy to use, small, and a quality made product. I personally think it's a tad overpriced, as Hakko is big hype in the business of YouTuber repair techs. Rest assured though, it's going to feel good in the hand when you are soldering and last awhile. My personal opinion is that Weller's newer products are low quality. I've had a few Wellers where the temp control quit working, and it would run as hot as it could regardless of the setting you put it on. My experience hasn't been good, but they are still very highly rated... so take my experience as one person's opinion... and maybe the minority.

I don't use the Hakko I got much, or any of my Weller products I have... instead, I use an UNGARMatic 70B.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/325544186198

This retro unit does really well for me; I can easily make clean joints with good wetting as long as I have some good ol' lead solder. Personally, I find that I do better work on the UNGAR, especially on older boards that take more heat to get going. On the other hand, for newer boards, (2000s and on), I prefer the Hakko. The UNGAR is controlled, but is a set temperature of I think the upper 300s celsius, so it can run hot enough to lift traces on fragile newer boards.

I think the type of solder you use is as important as the station you melt it with. I am really frustrated by the lead free solder. It doesn't melt right and is very hard to get clean. It also cracks easier and is quite a bit more receptive to shock. Lead based solder is way more forgiving, melts easily, and has that awesome smell that makes you just a tad more 'happy'. You can solder quicker with it too. If you care about the environment, nab the lead free stuff... just be prepared for a harder time.

Article on the two types:
    https://www.eptac.com/blog/leaded-vs-lead-free-solder-which-is-better

Last edited: Mar 13, 2024
    Jorge likes this.
  3. Valentin

Valentin Well-Known Member

I have both Hakko FX-888D and Weller WE1010, both are very good units. Any of these 2 is a good choice, but availability of tips is something that has to be considered.
    The Weller tips are much more readily available in Europe (I can find these at local electronic components shop) and also the interface is more user friendly on the Weller.

As far as cheaper ones go (like Solomon SL-30, this is a generic one there are a ton that look like it), I just don't recommend them: temperature adjustment tends to be off, they take a lot of time to get up to temperature.
    Also there is a lot of thermal resistance between the heating element and tip, meaning the real usable power is less than what the heating element can produce so temperature will drop abruptly when you try to heat a bigger copper area.
    Because of this, these typically need to be run at higher temperature than normal and they also tend to burn the heating elements regularly.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2024
    On The Beach and Jorge like this.
  4. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

5. antm4n

antm4n New Member

Thanks for all your input regarding different stations. I was going to probably buy the Weller but having watched a few YouTube videos I’m in two minds now.

My head is telling me buy a new weller we1010 due to warranty etc, my heart is telling me buy an older quality 2nd hand station.

The Hakko is above what I’m prepared to pay, I’ve looked at 2nd hand units and my worry is the amount of fakes that are out there. I’ll update you on my purchase.

On The Beach likes this.
  6. On The Beach

On The Beach Active Member

I've only used Weller since the 80s so that's my pick. I don't have that 1010 but an older model prob 10 years old now (just has a dial and digital readout of temp)
    Still does the job, still can adjust temp and still can get tips (and parts but haven't needed any).

7. antm4n

antm4n New Member

8. On The Beach

On The Beach Active Member

9. antm4n

antm4n New Member

Just in case you all wondered what I ended up with, the 2nd hand Weller was sold. Searched online and a reputable seller 8000+ was selling their Hakko, showed all the photos to prove it wasn't a copy etc and price I thought was good as it came with extra genuine Hakko tips, solder and desolder braid. Paid £100 so happy. It arrived this morning and the first thing I can tell is this is a quality unit in my opinion. Anyway thank you for your help. PXL_20240319_140643466.jpg

Mister X, On The Beach and Valentin like this.
  10. Squiggly

Squiggly Member

i got a weller we1010 some time back, used it a lot when recapping my deck. cant say i have any complaints with it, its a solid iron

On The Beach and antm4n like this.
  11. Duey71

Duey71 Member

I now using the YIHUA 8786-D Rework Station. Temp settins are very stable and precise. Thought I would chime in! upload_2024-4-3_2-50-28.png

12. Chris_D

Chris_D Active Member

I used to have a Hakko until it went wrong. Admittedly it did get unceremoniously pushed off the end of my workbench which probably casued an internal issue. I had a poke around and couldn't find anything fixable so I determined it was dead and sold it on Marktplaats for scrap for a tenner.

I intended to replace it like for like before someone pointed me in the direction of the KSGER T12 solder stations as sold ubiquitously on aliexpress et al. I was of course a bit skeptical - Chinese build quality etc. But at around €50 including a bunch of tips and free delivery I thought it was worth giving it a try.
    Had to wait about 2 weeks for it to finally arrive, during which time I was subject to using my lamentable standby iron and I was tempted to just order a one-day delivery new hakko via Amazon but I'm so glad I stuck it out and waited!

This thing has been a revelation. I've been using it daily for about the last 2 years (I'm a cable-maker by trade these days) and it hasn't skipped a beat!
    I bought extra replacement tips, thinking they would wear out as fast as the Hakko tips but whatever they're made of (maybe tungsten carbide) they look as new as when I started using them! I use predominantly the D16, D24, JL02 and K tips for different types of work.

Has all the features of the Hakko including fast heat-up when lifting it out of it's holder / shaking it etc. Goes into low power mode when not in use. Gives temp read-out (handy for low temp solders, esp if you use Oyaide SS47 like I do). Calibrates to the tips.

I'm thinking about getting a 2nd one as a standby just in case as they're on offer at the moment I saw.
    I really ought to think about getting a proper solder station extraction hood for the amount of hours per week I'm soldering. I use a fan to blow away the fumes and keep a window open but I know that's not really sufficient.

Anyway, highly recommended from me!

IMG_20240403_113603.jpg IMG_20221115_122114.jpg

13. banyanleaf

banyanleaf New Member

I bought a Yihua station many years ago. Still works like a charm. Saw a short video on their facility, very impressive.

14. antm4n

antm4n New Member

Really enjoying my Hakko but I don’t think I’d paid full price though. Ironically 1 day after buying the SS on eBay Amazon put an offer on the weller of £124. The KSGER T12 looks good for the money and maybe a prezzie for my best friend later in the year.

15. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

I also have a tiny TS101 Soldering Pen, they are small and nice when you don't want to haul everything out. TS101 seems to be the generic word for them now, I don't know who invented it but there's a lot of different branding. I bought one after watching Adam Savage, he also builds a solder station in this video, he's holding it up below.

16. Squiggly

Squiggly Member

i had one before i got a full iron or workstation, after a little under a year ish of time passed using it regularly, the heating element started to die and it wasnt able to melt solder anymore. for small stuff its fine but i think they have quality control issues being some commonly rebranded mass produced chinese iron. tbf it is a pretty good iron if youre just starting out with soldering or dont have a full workstation setup yet, i just wouldnt use it for very long
    you can find it on aliexpress, amazon, ifixit website, with various designs and branding. if you want something long term i would look elsewhere tho. its like the commonly rebranded generic mp3 player made for movie merch that isnt too great
    but thats just my 2 cents, maybe i got a one-off bad unit or something