Sony TCM-10 , like a WM-10

Discussion in 'Chat Area' started by On The Beach, Mar 11, 2024.

1. On The Beach

On The Beach Active Member

Yes, I know it’s a mono voice recorder. But it looks, to me, more impressive than the WM-10 as it has recording, mic, counter and a speaker in the same tiny package as the WM-10.

Attached Files:

Mister X and Emiel like this.
  2. On The Beach

Saw this onEbay. A silly price too but so are the WM-10 (and 20, 30, 40). I’d love a wm-10 just for it’s looks but cheapest i see in Australia is at least $300 not working, and I guess they are a pain to fix.

3. Squiggly

Squiggly Member

almost bought this one several times out of curiosity, but could never justify the price that guy wanted for it
    and i can tell these pictures are from that same ebay listing thats been up for around 4-5 years now lol. that guys really been wanting a silly price for a while

Last edited: Mar 20, 2024
    On The Beach, Mister X and Valentin like this.
  4. Squiggly

Squiggly Member

id try those japanese auction sites for better deals
    also the wm-10 models arent too bad to fix/disassemble once you know how they are put together, but the wm-40 is absolutely a pain to fix even after youve taken it apart several times

Valentin likes this.
  5. Valentin

Valentin Well-Known Member

More and more sellers are adopting this mentality of never giving up on the price regardless if they sell or not.
    I stated quite a few times on the forum that some sellers do NOT actually want to sell, but just specualte.
    Such people think along the lines of "I know what the device is worth, it's either gonna sell at X or otherwise it's not worth selling".
    Of course the market is proving them wrong, but they're unwilling to accept it relying that there's always a chance someone will actually buy at some point
    in time, so they are willing to wait whatever it takes to get the price they want rather than dropping the price.

My advice is always avoid these sellers, because there are better deals out there.
    Buying from them will only confirm them that their initial presumptions were true and will be treated as a signal the demand has grown.
    This statement is meant for other people reading the thread, including non members.

Squiggly likes this.
  6. Squiggly

Squiggly Member

yeah.. i dont quite understand the mentality here, granted that is one of the only tcm-10 models ive seen for sale online, but youd think hed just drop the price a bit and save himself 5+ years of waiting
    i got in and graduated high school in the span of time that thing has been for sale on ebay lmao

7. Valentin

Valentin Well-Known Member

In my opinion, even units that are very rare and there's only one for sale at some point in time, still have a market price despite what other members have stated (like "You either buy at that price or don't buy, no negotiation").
    The fact unit has been listed for so long proves exactly my point: the market price is below the listing price. People are just not willing to pay that amount, it's as simple as that.

On rare items, I would expect the exact opposite if the desirability was sky high (as these sellers think): for them to sell relatively quick. It just doesn't take 5 years to find a customer if there are dozens of them willing to buy.
    Same goes for items that have dozens of watchers but no buy, it's obvious the price is too high and the seller must come with an offer.

On The Beach likes this.
  8. Squiggly

Squiggly Member

well granted i do think its a rare model, though i wouldnt consider it desirable by any means. tcm players in general arent very sought after
    i could only imagine collectors wanting it, but even then theyd probably rather spend that much money on a more well-known player with better playback and build quality

for example you could go on a japanese auction site and get a red wm-40 for around that much. but still, i get a chuckle every now and then when i see that tcm-10 still for sale on ebay, youd think that guy would learn

9. Recaptcha

Recaptcha Well-Known Member

You'd think so, but actually... buying from Japan can prove to be quite pricy as of late. It's shipping. Shipping right now is astronomical + Buyee/Sendico have raised shipping fees AND cut economic options. Last item I imported (old laptop) cost $200 to ship to me on the cheapest option.

Maybe not desirable to you... but to someone. I've been seeing a trend recently where YouTubers are starting to cover the TCM and TCS series... possibly because there are already a lot of videos on the WMs. They are specifically interested in the similarities and differences between the pro models and the WM models. Techmoan covered the TC-D5 among other mono recorders as well.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2024
    Mister X likes this.
  10. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

Some non-stereo players are pretty neat and I'll happily add them to the collection for the right price like a recently purchased Sony TC-58. It's a beautiful early, and tiny for the time, portable. These all live happily with other stuff I don't use like old cameras, electronic games and other cool designs from the old days.

On The Beach and Recaptcha like this.
  11. Recaptcha

Recaptcha Well-Known Member

Exactly! I collect all kinds of stuff that I think is cool... Handycams, old computers, typewriters... I even have a decent 'vintage' Dyson hoovers collection. Ever since I saw a TLC special on a dude's old washing machine collection... I realized everything is desirable, and if they are having fun... hey I can't knock the people, or the items in their collection.

Mister X and On The Beach like this.
  12. On The Beach

I was never going to buy it, but I thought it was really interesting. 4 years, wow he’s been waiting a while.

I just searched for it, it’s gone from sale, and not on the sold listing either. I guess he will try again in 6 months

Last edited: Mar 21, 2024
  13. On The Beach

Wm-10 size with a speaker and records …was pretty good the jammed all that in the tiny package.

Mister X likes this.
  14. On The Beach

Last fromBuyee was $240 of Walkman players, and was $170 shipping…silly prices now.

and I think (going by Reddit posts) that a lot of people have no clue and TCM/TCS and Walkman . They think they are all music players, don’t even know what mono and stereo is … some even want the poorest quality sound.

15. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

I always wondered about the mono Superscope Recorders that go for ok money but it looks like the guitar guys build reverb units with them.