FM radio frequency solution for Ghettoblasters, imported from Japan

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by rupi99, Jul 21, 2020.

1. rupi99

rupi99 Active Member

I don’t know, if such a solution already was posted.

I think, a lot of people which have imported boomboxes directly from Japan, are annoyed that they can not receive FM radio stations outside of Japan.

Many early boomboxes (end of 70ies, start of 80ies), that were produced for Japanes market, have a FM frequency band from 76…910MHz. This is for devices with analog as with digital tuner.
    Victor RC-M70GX.jpg

Also some later produced BB’s with digital tuner, that could receive TV sound (which was between 88…108MHz), could only receive 3 fixed frequencies (TV channels) in the range from 88…108MHz.

Surfing on ebay, I found so called “FM Band Converters”, that are intended to use the built-in radio in cars that were imported from Japan.

For example:
    https://www.ebay.de/itm/16MHz-FM-Ba...Worldwide-Frequency-Up-to-108MHz/112212439854

Those small devices will be connected between antenna and antenna connection on PC board. Depending on the version they are “moving down” the received frequency for 14, 16, 18 or 20MHz.

I ordered such a device and built it into my Japanese SHARP QT-88CD. The topic is, to find on the BB electronic a point, that delivers at least 9Vdc. With lower voltage the converter would not work properly.
    FM Converter 1.jpg FM Converter 2.jpg
    And it really works. With the 16MHz version I can now receive the range from 92…106MHz. This is enough to get all my needed FM stations.

Here a short video:

Mainly such a converter contains a quartz chip, which is shifting the frequency for the specified value.

2. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

Thanks rupi99! Just what I needed, the Japanese Bands stink and they have no good stations left. Is that your M70? I've got that version and would love to expand the FM.

3. rupi99

rupi99 Active Member

No, the M70 picture is just an example to show the Japanese FM frequency band from 76…90Mhz. But the described expanders / converters should work also with the M70. You find on ebay several ersions.

You need to disconnect the antenna wire from the M70 radio board and connect it with antenna input from the converter. The antenna output from the converter you connect to the M70 radio board. For power supply of the converter you need to find a point on the M70 mainboard, that gives at least +9Vdc. For example a point that has power, when you switch to radio mode and no power, when you switch the M70 off. To this point you connect the red “+” wire. The black “-“ wire you can connect to any point that has GND connection.

Mister X likes this.
  4. Mister X

Mine's on the way, if anybody has done it to the JDM M70 let me know where you attached the power lead.

5. nickelindimer

nickelindimer Active Member

Oh-man...! Forgive my timing, but seeing that fault just reminds me of this:

"And a Japanese transistor radio...!":loldiag:

6. Ovidiu Birau

Ovidiu Birau New Member

Could you please post a link to those expanders?

7. Mister X

8. Ovidiu Birau

Ovidiu Birau New Member

Thank you, but the shop doesn't seems to be active on Ebay,

9. Mister X

10. Ovidiu Birau

Ovidiu Birau New Member

Thank you, found them

11. Cassette2go

Cassette2go Well-Known Member

JDM jvc RCM70 17186532759943696137451643921949.jpg of course when I got mines from Japan I made sure I got one that came with the case.