R.I.P. redbenjoe

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by autoreverser, Apr 24, 2024.

1. autoreverser

autoreverser Well-Known Member

...got the sad news from agentorange yesterday that good old redbenjoe has passed away - rock in peace, mate :hi ira.jpg

Cassette2go and Radio Raheem like this.
  2. TooCooL4

TooCooL4 Well-Known Member

Sad to hear when a member dies. Rip.

3. Chris_D

Chris_D Active Member

RIP

Looks like he enjoyed some boombox beachdays in his time.
    :thumbsup2:

4. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

Wow, that's a bummer, I wonder how old he was, he was on here for years, not sure if he migrated over to BBX. He was one of the early posters that knew all of the crazy collectable models out there and I'd read in amazement wondering how I missed all of them as a youth.

Cassette2go likes this.
  5. Big_Paul

Big_Paul Member

Sad About Ira, i did contact him a while ago on ebay, he replied and said he was well but he said he was no longer collecting. he was 84 years old when he passed.

6. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

A lot of those early members were much older than me, no wonder they knew what everything was and they left a good legacy in the boombox/Walkman World. I personally believe they got the cassette revival going, 20 years ago most things related to cassettes were considered boat-anchors. Then Boomboxes and Walkmans started to get a tiny following, mostly through The Pocket Calculator Show, then this forum, it took 15 years but it all blew up bigly.

Unfortunately it usually gets assumed they just moved on from collecting and disappear without notice.

Ira, we just have one last question, what boomer did you hold onto?

7. Radio Raheem

Radio Raheem Well-Known Member

A legend among legends rip brother

Cassette2go likes this.
  8. Big_Paul

Big_Paul Member

I joined Pocket.calculator.show, that was around 2000/2001, i was 31 years old then, now i'm 54 years old, 55 in a few months.. all my kids are in their 30s and my youngest son is 22 and also has a daughter of his own, and now i have 12 grand kids..
    Some old members are older than me that are 60+ years old, when it very first became Stereo2go in around 2003 it was hectic, there would be around 40-60 people logged in at once, i couldn't keep up with the posts, each thread was going up and down every 2 minutes as people were replying to different subjects, it was nuts.. even back then there was some big money changing hands for some radios, but we were all young then, just kids really, now most of us consider ourselves old timers, and the boombox trend has died off a bit as people are concentrating more on getting old and making memories with their families and grand kids, and some are selling their collections off because they don't want to leave all their junk behind for their families to clear out when they go.. Oh and As for Ira.. i saw a video of his celebration of life on Facebook, i only saw one boombox, it was on a table, and that was a Discolite..