Discman repair help

Discussion in 'Discmans, Minidisc, DCC and other players' started by antm4n, Apr 6, 2024.

1. antm4n

antm4n New Member

Whilst cleaning the pads for new smd's the solder braid stuck to the pad and I struggled to remove it. Only half a pad left. Is there still enough just for the capacitor to fit on or do I need to do something else? And should the 2 pads ringed have a connection? Thanks in advance.

PXL_20240406_144748710~2.jpg

Last edited: Apr 6, 2024
  2. reminiz

reminiz Member

I think you'll be ok... just build up the solder there and it'll connect. Just make sure nothing bridging that shouldn't, get some solder mask.

Valentin likes this.
  3. Recaptcha

Recaptcha Well-Known Member

Screenshot 2024-04-12 at 12.49.13 AM.png

What he said. Doesn't look like a total loss, so a blob (albeit unsightly) should do the trick.

There is an area near where you circled that looks very suspicious. I noted it in magenta. Looks like potential break in trace, maybe broken via at the bottom, and where the top connects to the '272' component also could be broken. I'd check continuity there to ensure you are still getting a continuous circuit at that area.

4. antm4n

antm4n New Member

Thank you @Recaptcha and @reminiz I hadn't noticed possible loss in the circuit. I'm going to be working on it again this weekend so I'll keep you posted.

5. antm4n

antm4n New Member

Well time has gone by, work gets in the way etc BUT I put the discman back together, powered it up and-nothing. Oh dear, the trace that @Recaptcha had suggested might not be good was fine but one nearby wasn't. Stripped a old VHS player I had and unwound a coil conductor for the thin copper wire. I measured the length, scraped both end to clean copper and bridged the break. I then put it all back together again-nothing. To say I was upset was an underestimation. I put everything away for the night and didn't get a chance to look at it for a few days. So a few days past I got it out looking at the board, I noticed that a capacitor didn't match the original spec, I'd put a 2.2uf instead of a 4.7uf o_O, changed the 2.2 for a 4.7 put it all back together and 'Houston we have lift off' the discman sprung to life. It sounded superb, I couldn't be happier. Thanks for all your help :)

Recaptcha likes this.
  6. Recaptcha

Recaptcha Well-Known Member

That's great! Another one saved, eh? Yeah those traces can really look suspicious. Usually when they do, there's something awry with it or around the place. Top work!

7. reminiz

reminiz Member

Nice one mate, man I wish my D90 had obvious capacitor issues, no idea where I should start and if cap replacement is going to be just a waste of time..