The Infamous Marantz Mini Stereo Boombox CH-53/CP-53

Discussion in 'Chat Area' started by Mister X, Mar 5, 2018.

1. Reli

Reli Well-Known Member

Nice set. Given that the amplifiers are in the speakers, it's not surprising that there's a delay. Maybe some dry capacitors are to blame.

2. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

The power supply is huge and it's 13.5 volts, center pin negative. The unit would be 2x as big if we included the power brick. My theory is they used Marantz CAR (car audio) parts, thus the 13.5 volt requirement.

The last "stack" I bought didn't have a power supply but as luck would have it, there was one for sale in Canada, wrongly labeled for the portable PMD Recorders. The one for this set is a DA-30.

On The Beach likes this.
  3. Baracus

Baracus New Member

I have the original power supply for the main system, I don't have the 3v power supply for the tape deck. I'm pretty certain one didn't come with it when my father purchased it, so the tape deck was always run on batteries.

I've just put batteries in the tape deck and got the motors working fwd and rwd and play but no signal as yet. The input on the amp is functioning so its something with the tape deck, could even just be dirty heads? Wouldn't have played a tape in at least 20 years, maybe 30.
    Impressed it's mostly working

Here's the main system power supply:

[​IMG]

And the tape input (currently running on 2 x AA

[​IMG]

Can anyone tell me whether the speakers stay powered on (lights on) when the system is on but no signal is moving to them (or volume turned right down)?

Also getting a low hum in the left speaker I'd like to try and get rid of

Last edited: Jun 23, 2023
    Mister X and On The Beach like this.
  4. Baracus

Baracus New Member

Did you sell this? My speakers don't power up until they receive signal so your may have been working the same? when they no longer receive signal they power down

**Edit. I may just be talking to myself at this point but for future reference;
    I just found another guy here in Aus who has one as well and he said his speakers power down also, so seems like it is designed that way.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2023
    On The Beach likes this.
  5. radiorich

radiorich Active Member

Hello mr x,
    Very intresting I have serviced and owned a lot Marantz gear over the years and have only seen a couple of them cross my path and back in the 80s a guy stationed at Fort Lewis in Tacoma Wa. He brought one in to the shop for some service .
    The couple them I did see where bought by military guys .
    Baracus yes I did notice that they power down too and no your not talking to
    Sincerely Richard

Last edited: Feb 24, 2024
    Mister X likes this.
  6. Mister X

I feel like a lot of stereo equipment bought overseas back then was for "bragging rights" when brought back here. For a short time suitcase stereos were hot and several bands mentioned how cool it was to have an AIWA Compo or Hitiachi Lo-D System that were mostly ignored over here. For a few hundred dollars you could have the smallest stereo made and it was a Marantz!

I haven't seen any ads here for the system and this was a different time for Marantz after the sale and split up of 1979, I don't think Marantz of Japan had distribution rights and nobody wanted to sell them here. My personal opinion is the USA Market wanted big huge components and not the mini-stereos which would often be more expensive.

Mystic Traveller likes this.
  7. Hifi Tom

Hifi Tom New Member

Hello

I have a complete unit, with EQ, Walkman and Carry Alu Box (with battery pack & activ antenna) & User Manuel.

I would love to Post this here, but it seems to be unpossible (for me) to Upload pictures …

I bought this unit 20 years ago from a Lufthansa-Pilot …

It was also offened in a newspaper-advertise for 520,- Dollars … a lot of Money for such a small Unit. My Marantz PM 52 was offered for 605,- Dollars at the same time …

Could someone help me please & Tell me how to Upload pictures here (please the easy way - I already read the introduction „how to Upload pictures“ but it didn‘t work )

Best wishes
    TOM

8. Mister X

I either cut from another source, either my personal hard drive or a website or use the "Upload a File" Button on the bottom right. Find your picture file and it will give the option of full size or thumbnail. Good luck!

9. Hifi Tom

Hifi Tom New Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2024
    On The Beach and Mister X like this.
  10. Hifi Tom

Hifi Tom New Member

Is this the way to Post pictures? … what a Stress …

Tomorrow I gone Post the Service Manuel …

Best wishes
    TOM

Mister X likes this.
  11. Hifi Tom

Hifi Tom New Member

12. Hifi Tom

Hifi Tom New Member

13. Hifi Tom

Hifi Tom New Member

This Software sucks … behind there is a link to each picture including comercials

Any idea what works better?

Mister X likes this.
  14. Mister X

I copy and pasted on your first post, but yea, it's a lot of work to post multiple photos. For help I recommend researching for the Beer and Boombox Thread. I have a worse problem, for some reason my desktop computer will lock-up. I might have multiple projects going on and I have to kill all of them.

Beautiful unit! They sound really good for being so small.