Revisiting Walkmans

Discussion in 'Introducing myself' started by Howard Groos, May 31, 2024.

1. Howard Groos

Howard Groos New Member

My first ever Walkman purchase whilst a drama student was a WM-6. Yes it was the FAME era. Great machine that I still have. One serious and probably insurmountable issue it seems with this model, the volume pot fails. Tried everything. Manufacturer still around but no longer listed. Take care if considering buying one. Many years later I was bought a new MZ-E60. Lovely little machine. A few months ago I accidentally slipped the battery in the wrong way. This seems to have upset it. Intermittent play and will not play pre recorded bought discs just home recorded. The case is almost mint so I bought one that does work but with a grubby case. If I have no luck repairing I will do a case swap. The retro bug has bitten and I now own a selection of Walkman and MD's. My favourite and latest is a gorgeous WM-7 in as new condition. Boy its heavy. No case and no battery cover sadly. Hopefully I can find these plus of course the special earphones with controller. This does not ruin my enjoyment of this amazing machine and yes I know its the more expensive forerunner of my WM-6.
    Its a fascinating hobby and ensures these incredible devices stay out of landfill.

2. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

Great players that have evaded my collection, maybe one of these days. Good luck with your hunt, I was just moving some bigger boomboxes to get my media room fully painted, it's been taking forever.

3. SNIDERs

SNIDERs New Member

There is nothing better than revisiting that phase of discovery when you first have a Walkman in your hands. Great intro, will be keeping an eye for those WM-6 's ;)