Wire for repairs

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by dom69, Jun 4, 2024.

1. dom69

dom69 Member

Hi everyone!

As I can see, I will need to buy some spare wire for my walkman repairs, in case some get ripped and too short to be soldered back in place properly when e.g. manipulating the PCBs etc...

These are super thin multi-strand wires, and not being an expert I don't really know what to look for... Are these AWG 38 gauge ones? I'm talking about the kind of wires that e.g. go to the PB head...

Ideally I would buy a kit of ready-to-use wires of several colors, but could not really find anything like this.

Are there any recommendations? Where do you guys shop such things?

Thanks a lot!

2. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

These guys are down the street from me...
    https://mnwire.com/

We have a few more around here, I think, they've invented stuff here over the years that requires very small wires built to a high level spec.

I haven't bought any but it's been brought up a few times in the past. There's probably a few old threads on it. Also check with Chris_D, he's our resident wiring expert and he lives in the EU.

dom69 likes this.
  3. dom69

dom69 Member

Hello @Chris_D, would you have some recommendations there?
    Thanks!

4. C83

C83 New Member

This previous thread had some suggestions, with the small wires inside Ethernet and USB cables being a choice of a few members on here. I haven’t tried this yet but would also like to have a go-to for these instances (especially good wire for carrying audio signal). I thought of using turntable tonearm cable, but it’s expensive and is used for carrying lower levels (before amplification by phono pre).

https://stereo2go.com/forums/threads/wires-for-walkmans.242/

dom69 likes this.