Tapeheads, what is their problem?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by givemeyourwalkmans, Jun 15, 2024.

1. givemeyourwalkmans

givemeyourwalkmans Active Member

Ok look. I've tried registering on Tapeheads a few times. Every single time the administrator(s) have ultimately declined my request. The first time ages ago I cancelled when I saw that date of birth was required, which is frankly ridiculous for an analogue cassette forum. It was at the exact same time I was looking to make an account here and I ended up making one on this forum and not bothering with Tapeheads at all for this reason.

About a year or so later I tried again and after finishing what I thought was the process, I was dismayed to find that my account STILL needed to be manually approved by an admin... WOW. Ultimately a few days later the account was declined without any reason whatsoever. Just nothing.

Some months after that I tried another time but this time I never got an answer to the approval request. After some weeks or months I tried logging in just to get the error that the account doesn't exist. So it was obviously declined after a long wait but I never found out why.

A few days ago I just tried again and today I got a reply that my account has been denied AGAIN. This time the reason is that my location is not specific enough. Excuse me but what the heck? I input my location in as "Europe". Why should I have to be more specific than this? They already ask for my birth day, month and year and then they want my location as well. Am I supposed to just flat-out lie then? If I am incentivised to lie to protect my privacy, what is even the point then?

Furthermore, I've read a lot of threads on there where it seems things like openly swearing and arguing with people seems fine and there are instances of this I can see going back even as far as 2013. Hence one of the main reasons why it took me so long to even want to bother registering, because the community seems toxic. In fact, the only real reason I wanted to register is because there are some service manuals and other files on the site.

For example, I want access to this service manual for the HS-PC202: https://www.tapeheads.net/attachments/hs-pc202m2-pdf.105381/

but I need an account to download it. The irony here when it's not even THEIR file, but something someone else shared out of the goodness of their own heart but of course the admins put a lock and key in front of it. NICE /s

Why are they like this? This kind of paranoid, gatekeeping, user-UNFRIENDLY mentality is just absurd to me. They don't seem to give a damn about people fighting on the forum or being openly toxic and condescending. So why take all the effort into trying to fingerprint users online in the first place and manually review accounts based on DOB and Location? Least of all impose 90s-era rules of "You gotta register before you can view file attachments" and then go even further to MANUALLY APPROVE accounts.

Before someone says it's "for legal compliance". They already get your IP address which is a far more identifiable and reliable way of getting your location. Whereas anything someone could write on the registration page can be a lie.

What kind of control freaks run that site?

EDIT: Could someone who has an account there please just at least share the .pdf I linked? I couldn't be bothered to try and register a FOURTH time.

2. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

3. givemeyourwalkmans

Thanks for the reply. This seems to be for the J202 not PC202.

4. Des911

Des911 New Member

I wouldn't worry about Tapeheads, every time I've tried to post it has been rejected because I've only put the equipment name and no reason why I'm posting.

givemeyourwalkmans likes this.
  5. Silver965

Silver965 Well-Known Member

maybe you are looking for this??

Attached Files:

6. givemeyourwalkmans

Yes! Thank you so much!

7. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

Whoops. I was in a rush as my wife wanted to go to the shops.

In the past I have found Elektrotanya to be a good source of service manuals if you can find the download button amongst all the pop ups.

8. Cassette2go

Cassette2go Well-Known Member

Archive.org is a good place to search for all kinds of PDFs, but it's rather daunting to find what you're looking for