Phono Help

Discussion in 'Chat Area' started by Howard Groos, Jun 17, 2024.

1. Howard Groos

Howard Groos New Member

Just picked up a Denon AVC -2530 to add to my system. I am really into LP's, cassettes, CD's and MD's and wanted the ability to record anything to anything which I achieved with my original amplifier, Pioneer VSX-520K. Other components include a Sony MXD-D5C fab for recording MD's and a Pioneer tape deck CT-F500 which is also superb. Tapes sound really sharp in my WM-7 Walkman using Maxell 90 Normal tapes. New $2 each.
    My 520k didn't quite do what I wanted so I bought the Denon. All ok except it does not like the turntable I am currently using. Super super loud and distorted. Deck is a DJ 20 which I suspect is the problem. The manual for the Denon does say it cannot be used with a MC cartridge, has to be a MM cartridge. Question :what do they stand for and which cartridge is the DJ 20? I know its not a great turntable and will keep my eyes open for a replacement but for now can I use it and how? Cheers in advance to anyone that can help.

2. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

Good luck with your set up, I'm not fully sure what the equipment is going by the model numbers, I can't find a DJ-20 TT anywhere. MM is moving magnet, MC is moving cartridge, both are how the stylus transmits the signal to the wires, I was trying to find a cool page with easy diagrams, Audio Technica has an ok page.
    https://www.audio-technica.com/nl-n...oving-magnet-and-moving-coil-phono-cartridges

I think if you have a bowl of vintage cartridges and you grab a handful, most likely they will be MM. I have 30+ and I don't remember any being MC. Some of our members like Jorge or TooCool4 deep dive more into the vinyl world and hopefully they chime in. I just use what I have and crank it loud.

Jorge likes this.
  3. Howard Groos

Howard Groos New Member

Thanks for that. Do you happen to know what would happen if the wrong cartridge is used? Mine is like a runaway train sound wise. The smallest movement of the volume knob is scary loud. The system is fine with tapes , MD's and CD's so it has to be a problem with the turntable not liking my receiver or vice versa. The DJ-20 USB is a well known older cheapie turntable and they come in silver or white that I have seen. Bought it years ago. Works ok but strictly budget brand.

4. C83

C83 New Member

Check the turntable to see if it has a built-in preamp - many newer and less expensive turntables these days have them. If it does, that should be off if you are using Phono-in on the amp. If it is not switchable, try going into an Aux input on the amp instead. Your description of the issue sounds like the signal from the cart is being amplified twice…

Jorge likes this.
  5. TooCooL4

TooCooL4 Well-Known Member

Okay it sounds like your gain is too high, check on your amp in the phono section to see if you have a gain setting. If you have a gain switch, you need to turn it down.
    The 2 most popular cartridges are moving magnet MM, moving coil MC, there are many others.
    Moving magnet like its name says the magnet moves and the coils are stationary, moving coil like its name says, the coils moves the magnet is stationary.
    MM has a heavier generator and provides a higher output anything over 3 mV.
    MC lighter generator and the output can be lower than 0.3 mV.
    MC obviously needing a higher gain for it to work.
    This is only a very quick rough guide to those cartridges.

Jorge and C83 like this.
  6. Howard Groos

Howard Groos New Member

That's a great answer as I only have a rough idea what you are talking about but it makes sense. I shall do my best to confirm what you have mentioned. I'm guessing you are spot on as it does appear the turntable is overloading the receiver. I chose this one because it has a dedicated Phono In socket which from what you are saying means it does not require the turntable to have its own amplifier? It also make sense that an Aux port might be better. Of course a decent turntable is the other solution. I kick myself that when I moved to Oz from the UK I had a super Sony deck. I threw it away because the plastic lid got broken in transit. The deck was still perfect!! But hey that's the reason this stuff is becoming rare and valuable. I have to say as a newbie to the site I am deeply impressed with how many people have responded and not one has been the smart arse type you get on other sites. Very refreshing so thank you one and all. I look forward to improving my knowledge on all things stereo? What do you call this interest? Hey TooCool I notice you have a WM-D6C. Is it worth the exorbitant money they are now asking for these? I picked up a WM-7 only recently in Fab condition for what appears to be now the asking price for a non working example. Its an absolute brick of a machine. If weight signifies quality this is pure gold. I love it. Be nice to have a collection of the WM- range (plus a DD of course). Thanks.

C83 likes this.
  7. Howard Groos

Howard Groos New Member

Haa! success. I switched from USB to Line on the deck......perfect. Thank you so much everyone who responded. I am so happy now. That's a bit sad but I don't care. I needed cheering up.

C83 likes this.
  8. TooCooL4

Like C83 said and you just confirmed, you are boosting the signal from the cartridge twice, once in the turntable and again in your amplifier.
    Don't automatically think the one in the turntable will be nicer. I would recommend you try both, turn off the one in the turntable and use the one in the amp. Once you have tried that, put it back on and try it through the AUX import. Use the one that sounds better to you.

Depends on what you mean by exorbitant money, for me if it's more than say £400 - £500 then it's too much money.
    The D6C is a very good unit.

C83 likes this.
  9. TooCooL4

You will find most people on the site are nice people that really do what to help, so no matter your level of question people will give you an answer to the best of their ability without looking down on you.
    On the sites where they look down on you, are you usually people without a clue that think they know it all.

10. Howard Groos

Howard Groos New Member

Ooops, spoke too soon. Yes the turntable is now playing perfectly but its not recording onto a tape. The DB needles move a little but are not controlled by the dial and nothing reached the tape. Any ideas anyone?

11. Howard Groos

Howard Groos New Member

I have seen ones advertised as good condition for considerably more. $400 - $500 (US?) sounds reasonable if its a good one. Beat up ones for me have no value. Gotta be close to brand new looking and working. Sure they cost more but you get what you pay for. Thanks again TC4. Good name for a Walkman. I will try the Aux plug now for the non recording issue.

12. TooCooL4

Which way have you got it plugged in now, Via Aux with the turntable phono engaged or via the amps phono with the turntable phono switched off?

P.S. Do you have a tape loop on the amp?

13. Howard Groos

Howard Groos New Member

Plugged into Phono on the receiver and switch moved to Phono on the turntable. As I said works perfectly sound wise now, just can't record cassettes from it.

14. TooCooL4

Do you have a tape loop on the amp and if so have you chosen the source for the tape deck to record from?

15. Howard Groos

Howard Groos New Member

OK not sure what tape loop is and the receiver has to be switched to PHONO for the turntable to come through. Any help?

16. Howard Groos

Howard Groos New Member

Check out the D6C prices on Ebay $1500 - $2500 ouch!

17. TooCooL4

Your amp does not have a tape loop, which means you can't record through the amp. Is this your amp.

Re D6C price you listed above, I would not pay that kind of money. That is the kind of money you pay for a good full size deck.

Oh I could be wrong, it says tape in/out. Can you take pics of front and back of the unit?

18. Howard Groos

Howard Groos New Member

Yes it is so that's not great news. Is there any kind of workaround. Otherwise can you suggest a good receiver that will perform all the functions I am looking for. I just went on the fact it had a dedicated Phono plug. Shame coz its one powerful machine and weighs a ton. Built to last I think. I agree it is silly silly money for something from Ebay that could break a week after buying it or never works at all. There is one advertised for over $3000!!. There are literally dozens of them for sale now so hardly a rare machine. $2000 plus and it doesn't even come with the protective leather case, got to be joking. A years time the prices will crash.

19. TooCooL4

Look at the image attached, you can use any of the VCR -1, VCR -2, DAT / Tape – 1, DAT / Tape 2, they all look like tape loops.
    I would say pick DAT / Tape -1 IN & OUT.

Do it this way
    Take the line-out on the back of your tape deck and plug it into DAT / Tape 1 line-in on the back of the AV amp.
    Take the line-in on the back of the tape deck and plug it into DAT / Tape 1 line-out on the back of the AV amp.
    So when you want to play the tape deck chose the DAT / Tape 1 option on your AV amp.
    When you want to monitor what is coming off the tape while recording chose to monitor the DAT / Tape 1 on your AV amp.

Back of AV amp.png That should work.

Jorge and C83 like this.
  20. Howard Groos

Howard Groos New Member

Huge thank you. I shall give it a go and report back. Have to do it later now, other stuff getting in the way. Cheers.