Paid. $125 for this motor to repair the sharp g f 505sb

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by Cassette2go, Jun 23, 2024.

1. Cassette2go

Cassette2go Well-Known Member

The motor came wrapped in a Sharp GF-505st, That I got from buyee Japan.
    PXL_20240623_190210538.jpg
    I bought this above. Yes I gambled on the motor working and it does so I can rip the motor out of this unit and throw the entire thing away except for the motor and replace the motor from it, into my Sharp GF-505SB!
    PXL_20240623_190309989.jpg
    On the left is the donor and on the right just needs a motor and so that's my project for the rest of today until I get it done as the 505sb already has all of its belts and everything replaced. It just needs the motor and then it'll be perfect for its age with a new used motor.
    decentman4you2007@gmail.com
    I'll answer any questions.

Coley1969, Jorge and Mister X like this.
  2. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

I'll take the crusty one!

Is the motor that rare? I have a few shelf (qXXXns) that look like they bathed in salt, I don't care, they still like to be on display.

Jorge and Cassette2go like this.
  3. Cassette2go

Rare is a three-wire DC motor which is what this sharp takes. Let me illustrate with a couple of pictures.
    PXL_20240624_162240420.jpg
    Do you have any motors that have this kind of wired connection?
    PXL_20240624_162439076.jpg
    This deck has all the belts including front and back but the cap stand little tiny eraser sized tire is non-existent but it's in sad shape. But the motor works great so I'm going to replace it now into that. Very much nicer looking and working. Just needing a motor sharp GF- 505sb.

Mister X and Jorge like this.
  4. Hyperscope

Hyperscope Well-Known Member

Yeah keep that old junk 505ST for parts. It has a ton of good parts. I hope you oil the old motor before putting it in the recipient box :nodding:

Mister X and Cassette2go like this.
  5. Cassette2go

Yes I did oil the motor. However, as this is the first time that I've been able to play this unit only in playback mode or recording, is there white noise in the right channel, which can go up and down with the volume but no music.
    In radio mode and line in mode it works fine. In stereo. Both channels playing correctly. Just the cassette deck has the issue with no right channel. I'm sad about that but the cassette works perfectly, with the new used motor in it.
    17192635654013693725146370171556.jpg
    I'm using headphones to listen cuz I know the speakers work but this is the inside of it with the new old used motor and all new belts and idler tire.
    Now I just need somebody that can diagnose this to the component level. The amplifier circuit of the preamplifier of the cassette head. That's something I don't know how to do. So when this ever goes up for sale or if anyone's interested in getting it from me as I was going to put it with the sharp GF 9696 that I have that also works perfectly with the new used motor.

Mister X likes this.
  6. Hyperscope

Hyperscope Well-Known Member

Just white noise in the right channel on cassette playback. But left channel has sound ok?

Yeah that could be lot of things, oxidized contact in a switch, record bar multi switch and so on or possibly a transistor or capacitor in the cassette portion. That would tend to would rule out amp or pre-amp. Just do the usual mega de-oxit spray campaign first of course. Then check cassette head wires and follow that back to the board looking for loose or cold solder joints.

I had a lot of transistor issues in an old 1971 Sony CF-550, which being so old, one would expect. I found one of the defective ones by touching it, moving and bending it, while in playback. I would playback from battery and start pressing and touching switches, transistors, capacitors on the cassette part of the circuit. And you can hear the result. That's first thing to try. Anyway, this is why I don't work on boomboxes anymore unless they are super duper special to me and worth all the work that might be needed. And that list has shrunk down to 2 or 3 and even then my interest has all but fizzled away now. But I still wanna get a few old 70's mono boxes like Sony CF-490, National Panasonic RQ 568 and maybe the JVC RC 550...

Last edited: Jun 25, 2024
    Mister X and Cassette2go like this.