Hello!

Discussion in 'Introducing myself' started by Alex_the_gerbil, Jun 26, 2024.

1. Alex_the_gerbil

Alex_the_gerbil New Member

Hello everyone,

We're a couple of nerd who love old electronics, used to repair and mod retro video games console.

We recently acquired an AIWA CX 800-u and are trying to repair it for fun, and figured out this might be a good place to ask for help

Last edited: Jul 13, 2024
  2. Cassette2go

Cassette2go Well-Known Member

Hello. Can you check the exact spelling of this brand and of the exact model number as I've had and still have several of this brand and models various because I cannot find this anywhere on the internet present day. Also, could you share a picture front and back showing the model number and the label on the back and a picture of the front so he can better identify this model and or help you with it. Thanks.

3. Des911

Des911 New Member

Hi and welcome Alex

4. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

5. Alex_the_gerbil

Alex_the_gerbil New Member

Hey! To be honest, we mainly bought this one because we love how it looks, the audio quality was secondary, but the cassette we tried played perfectly nice!

So here are some details about the unit, front and back:
    aiwa_front.jpg aiwa_back01.jpg

zoom on the back label:
    aiwa_back02.jpg

What's the issue:

After buying it, we test to see what's the state and it's not that bad! So basically almost everything works (cassette players, all displays, all buttons,etc...), but the CD player tray was pretty busted (couldnt open up).

We managed to find the same exact Cd player, bought a new one and replaced it (We soldered the small control board attach to the old CD player on the new one, since the new one had a 6 pins connectors, while the main circuit board was expecting a 4 pins connector)

aiwa_drive.jpg

So now the eject and close function work fine. The big issue is that the CD doesn't spin. We're trying to examine the board see if they are other faulty component (cables, etc), but like I said we're novice, so its quite hard, but...it's fun to try!

here is a video of it in action: https://imgur.com/a/dkWgn1O