Aiwa HS-J470 Auto Reverse Loop

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by Old Tech Enthusiast, Jul 9, 2024.

1. Old Tech Enthusiast

Old Tech Enthusiast New Member

Hello everyone, I recently bought Aiwa Hs-J470 but there is a problem with auto-reverse. When I get to the beginning and end of the tape, auto reverse causes trouble and gets corrupted. If the auto reverse switch is off, it keeps doing left and right and stops. If the auto reverse switch is on, it keeps doing left and right forever and cannot continue the tape. In order to restore it to its former working condition, I need to open the inside of the device and place correctly the long rod and blue gear, and avoid from getting beginning and ending of tape. Even if I do FF and REW while in the loop, the gear continues to cause problems. I've uploaded some photos and video of my device.
    NOTE: I changed the belt.
    NOTE 2: I may be the first person to open the inside of the device so far, I wanted to point this out, I think it has not been repaired.
    NOTE 3: The loop continues whether there is a cassette inside the device or not.
    NOTE 4: While in loop, the direction change button is of no use.
    NOTE 5: If there is not any solution for this problem (because in my country, there are not enough components for walkmans and experts), can i disable auto reverse easily (Like removing a part or spring)?

2. Old Tech Enthusiast

The first photo is when I put the mechanism in its correct place. If I do not get beginning and ending of cassette, it does not change and works properly.
    The second photo is after the problem started. The location of the long rod is changing, its tip goes downwards.

3. Valentin

Valentin Well-Known Member

Autoreverse on this mechanism is fully mechanical. What I would check is the clutch assembly (the big black gear).
    Carefully remove it by removing the split washer while keeping it pressed. If the retainer is broken, it will tend to fly out when you remove the washer.
    There are other potential causes of this autoreverse loop, but would check this first.

Mechanical autoreverse is triggered by a detection lever which senses the reel is not moving.
    So in case you want to remove this functionality, that detection lever will have to be removed.

Also, note you don't need to attach pictures and videos to the forum's galley if they're only relevant to one specific thread. Rather, it's better to use the "Upload a File" button.

thid and Old Tech Enthusiast like this.
  4. Old Tech Enthusiast

@Valentin Thank you for your answer. I’ve removed the black gear, what should I do now? Also, could the very small white gear where I removed the black gear be the detection lever?

IMG_8614.jpeg
    IMG_8617.jpeg

5. Old Tech Enthusiast

When I turn the mechanism, the very small white gear connected to the white rod from which I removed the black gear moves a little left and right along with the white rod. Is this normal?

6. Valentin

Valentin Well-Known Member

That small white gear connected to the white rod is the detection lever. That's most likely the area where your problem is.
    The clutch looks fine, no issue there.
    Not sure, think I may have seen this problem before on another AIWA using a similar mechanism but really can't remember. Also can't remember what the fix was.

Old Tech Enthusiast likes this.
  7. Old Tech Enthusiast

I will investigate the problem a little more, and if I cannot find the problem, I plan to use the device by removing the small white gear. There is a labyrinthine path inside the big white gear to which the white long rod is attached. As it turns, the long white rod moves along that path and turns left and right a little. Maybe the problem may be on that road as well.

8. Old Tech Enthusiast

UPDATE: I could not figure out the problem, so I removed white long rod and its white small gear (removing only white small gear did not solve the problem), and walkman works fine now, its autoreverse function does not work anymore but still I can change the direction of the cassette. Thanks for your advice @Valentin