Show us your Midi/Mini systems here!

Discussion in 'Home Audio Gear Chat Area' started by Recaptcha, Apr 14, 2021.

1. StaticAudio

StaticAudio Active Member

2. Ducar

Ducar Active Member

3. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

That's a neat looking little system, I used to find the same receiver and tape decks from the 80's and didn't buy any.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2024
  4. Ducar

Ducar Active Member

Mister X likes this.
  5. Mister X

I meant the same model receivers and tape decks, some of the marantz's around this time were really low-budget stuff and that's all I ever saw.

6. Recaptcha

Recaptcha Well-Known Member

Ok, so I just had to post this Midi system I recently got! This is the Pioneer Private AV70! It's a Japanese model, but thankfully this one has a world tuner. It is also NTSC ofc. Also, each component is truly it's own discrete piece, but each component also uses a propriety connector and cable for both power, sound, and serial so good luck trying to use them out of the stack... the LD player has standard power and video so it could be used by itself.

IMG_2187.JPEG IMG_2189.JPEG IMG_2191.JPEG
    It plays Laserdiscs... and after a deep cleaning... it actually does it really well. This thing has it all... dual A/B auto play for laserdiscs, laserdisc karaoke, CD/Cassette/AM/FM, and tons of sound field and eq processing powers! I think calling it a Mini Component System is a stretch, because it's legit HUUUGEEE compared to my other midi/mini systems...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 4, 2024
    Papa, Mister X and lupogtiboy like this.
  7. Mister X

I wonder what "compatible laser disc" player means? Maybe all laser formats?

I have a nicer late model Pioneer LD Player around here somewhere, they tend to be very rare in the USA. There was a local antique store with several movies, I ended up with Billy Squire live in Long Beach, it's pretty cool to cue that up.

Recaptcha likes this.
  8. Recaptcha

I was wondering the exact same thing! Most of the Japanese Pioneer units from a certain age I see online have this text on them... 'compatible laserdisc player'. This unit does play an awful lot of discs, including DTS ones apparently. I have never owned a laserdisc player till now, and I only have one movie... Toy Story.

I was listening to it today, and man does it sound beefy. The amplifier is 67wpc into 8ohm, which is a lot for a mini system! It can shake the largest room in my dwelling only on a quarter turn, and turning on 'bass synthesis' sounds legit terrifying if you turn it up!

Here's it is all setup in my spare room on an IKEA shelf with some of my fav CDs. It's mega 90s with the JP Sega Saturn colors/design language... it has a ton of charm!

IMG_2192.png

The speakers are massive for something considered 'mini' ... although I've mentioned that already!

The AMP is interesting:

IMG_2182.jpeg
    IMG_2183.jpeg

The ENTIRE amp section is on a modular block, with all discrete transistors on a heatsink on either side of this block... there's also a fan and the middle is hollow so air can rush in.

Here's some photos of the tape deck... fairly basic, with those same 90s mechanisms used in here:

IMG_2180.jpeg IMG_2181.jpeg

Everything's quite clean and the belts are all good too. This Cassette deck sounds really detailed... and that surprised me. Most of my mini system cassette decks sound dull and muddy, this one sounds almost... processed.

I wonder how rare this system is.... Anyone seen or chased after the AV70?

Papa and Mister X like this.
  9. Mister X

I can't find any info on the Japanese Sites, I think I read somewhere that they mostly quit doing cut sheets around 1990. All-in-ones were starting to lose their flair with home theatre starting to make a showing, along with the Bose Lifestyle Craze. I'm surprised more systems like these didn't get exported, as a kid I would have loved it tied to a TV set.

10. Recaptcha

The cutsheet for mine is quite detailed, but yes, I do agree... you hardly ever see cutsheets by this date. I also agree about what you said on all-in-ones losing their flair. I was born in 1999, and I only remember small hifi being aimed at children and value customers. It is also my opinion that by 1996, most of what Pioneer offered in the states was pretty lackluster, unless it was branded as 'Elite' or some home theater product. According to some newspaper clippings I found online, 1995-1996 was a large profit loss year for them apparently. I actually think this unit might have been one of the last proper 'Private' units made, but I think they didn't cut a lot of costs here. I mean yeah, 90s curvaceous plastic replaces the metal facade of the old midi units, but the tech inside ain't cheap, nor is the inner construction. The cutsheet also contains much fanfare about it, calling it the 'long anticipated' and 'anxiously awaited' release of the X-AV70.

I ordered from Japan a general audio catalog for Pioneer from 1996, and this unit is in there apparently, along with other mini and laserdisc components. I'll update you with hopefully some answers when that arrives! (I really wish I still had a Hifi-Engine account to download the other catalogs online from around this time)

I leave you with a scan of the cutsheet... Just look at that cover image.. so sexy.

10540556_741782432543382_1655432643678880996_n.jpg 10885521_741782439210048_1513268911311908697_n.jpg

Mister X likes this.
  11. Mister X

Thanks for posting, pretty cool! My personal time-line for USA Mini's is the first wave late 70's, who knows whom was first but AIWA really took over the space quickly with Sanyo, Hitachi and a few others close behind. The 80's had some really nice stuff with Sony's FH Series, Technics 007, Marantz CH3, the myriad of AIWA Units and even the cool UHER's Auto posts once in a while. The 90's saw the 80's heavy-hitters moving into the very profitable plastic-fantastic mass-merchandised units but some companies like Denon started and got into high-mid-level vacated by the others, giving us some decent equipment. As a kid, I never saw cool mini systems, either it was somebodies older brother huge component systems or Fisher Junk.

12. Kiwinut

Kiwinut Member

My 80’s baby from new still in excellent condition. Every now and then the tape deck stops have all the manuals and even the brackets so you can stack the turntable.
    Cheers Kiwinut IMG_0216.jpeg

Papa, Recaptcha and Mister X like this.
  13. Recaptcha

Very cool, I actually really want one of these, but all I can find for sale is the newer Sansui M77 units on Yahoo Auctions. Looks like that amp is 25wpc, how does it sound with those OEM Speaks? Also, what year did it release? I really like Sansui, and they are one of the brands that got me into hifi audio to begin with... although it was those cheap early 80s 'compulink' rack components with plastic everything that I had to start with.

My most complete Midi is the Kenwood Roxy W5 from 1984, also with a ~25watt amp... I have boxes and manuals for it! Sadly, the CD's laser has lost all of its mojo and replacement lasers are long gone. I mean, the CD player is from '85 so...

If you look at the first post in this thread, it was this model I started with!

IMG_2146.jpeg IMG_2149.jpeg IMG_2150.jpeg IMG_2151.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 9, 2024
    Papa and Valentin like this.