Sony Discman D-100 No Power

Discussion in 'Discmans, Minidisc, DCC and other players' started by Garuman, Sep 8, 2024.

1. Garuman

Garuman New Member

Hi all,

I got myself a Discman D-100 and once I plugged a Sony AC adaptor, put a CD on and press Play, nothing happened. No display, no motor sound, no movements from the sled motor and laser head. It practically dead. I opened the unit up and checked if the middle gear is stuck, but it's not. I could use my finger to move it. Wondering what is the problem.

Cassette2go likes this.
  2. Garuman

Garuman New Member

I guess nobody knows what's wrong. Might have to store it as a non-working unit.

Cassette2go likes this.
  3. Cassette2go

Cassette2go Well-Known Member

Did you check the polarity of your power supply versus the input power of your discman? And also did you try it on batteries?

4. Cassette2go

Is the Sony output adapter working?
    17266877296115427868913253056121.jpg
    Aiwa Panasonic Sony Philips GPX all these don't work. Don't feel bad LOL

Garuman likes this.
  5. Cassette2go

17266878421183409408634009375641.jpg
    I have the larger Sony's

Garuman likes this.
  6. Hyperscope

Hyperscope Well-Known Member

Jorge was the D-10 / D-100 guy to ask. Common for the power supply inductor coils to have broken solder joints at the legs / board.

Said by Kaosun to be the best sounding Sony Discman ever. So based on this I had to get a D-10 off e-bay, great condition, just dead as listing described, sent straight to Kaosun for repair to get it working again. He replaced dead power supply component. When working I tested it a lot and did critical listening. I was not impressed.

Also found it to be very loud. Slewing from track to track was like a coffee grinder. Checked carefully and all ok. New gear. Just "normal". Like a lot of those early Duscman's they were loud when going from track to track. That bothered me. But the sound was cold and flat and... not compatible with my ears. Quickly sold and never looked back. Nice heavy Discman. With plastic bezel front panel and "Open" button triangle surround plastic all glued on and falling off. Normal for this model! All in all a nuisance waste of money exercise for me (I may have had a lemon unit as Jorge suggested...)

Cassette2go likes this.
  7. Garuman

Garuman New Member

Checked everything and looked just correct. No way to use batteries on this unit as it has to attached with a BP-100/200 which are usually dead.

8. Garuman

Garuman New Member

So I guess the problem might be at the power supply. I plugged my headphones in while pressing play. I could hear a sound like there is power, but after that it's just dead.

9. Silver965

Silver965 Well-Known Member

But in the service manual in the diagram you see a socket for an external 9 Volt power supply ... You can try to see with a tester if the power supply supplies the 9 volts

upload_2024-9-20_1-19-49.png

Cassette2go likes this.