New Member Just Joined 9/19/2024

Discussion in 'Introducing myself' started by rafacq, Sep 19, 2024.

1. rafacq

rafacq New Member

Greetings. I am a 72 years old new member who has loved stereo equipment since the mid 60's when my dad bought an HHScott 222C tube amplifier, which after a few years I inherited! Today I am retired and now get to enjoy all the benefits of new equipment. My latest addition, bought a Dayton Audio HTS-200 Hybrid amp and love it. I live in the DFW area.

In the last couple of years I have been making a comeback to vinyl and cassette decks. My 1979 Technics SL-3300 turntable still works but my 1984 JVC KD-V6 cassette deck is having belt issues, and something is wrong with the electronics, only one channel plays ok. Ordered a service manual and wondering if I should open the deck and fiddle with it. Difficult to find a technician that will work on cassette decks nowadays.

In the last few months, not sure why, been enthusiastic about a small collection of 80's cassette decks. First got a JVC TD-R441, as my KD-V6 is not in working order. That works nicely, but it is not a 3-head deck, so a few weeks later found a JVC KD-V6 that is in good working condition.
    After watching Ed (Old Guy HiFi) video on cassette decks, bought a Kenwood KX-3510 and really love it! Finally, I just ordered a Kenwood KX-1100HX from eBay, probably my last addition to my collection. Unfortunately it does not have an owner's manual. I found one online but it is in German!!! If anyone knows where I could find an instructions/owner's manual, I would appreciate if you let me know what I could do to get a copy.

Thanks for the addition and looking forward to many reads!

Kind Regards.
    upload_2024-9-19_3-13-41.png

Last edited: Sep 22, 2024 at 12:54 PM
    Emiel and Mister X like this.
  2. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to the forum! That's a really neat little amp, kind of tempting. I'm lucky to have a good supply of decks from years ago when everyone was tossing them as old relics but most need belts/rollers at this point. I always tell people new to the hobby to look for Technics TT's and JVC Tape Decks, they seem to be a little more robust and need little to no servicing.

I don't see an English Version of the manual either, you can run jpegs through google translate to get an English Version. Here's the SM if that helps.
    https://archive.org/details/manual_KX1100HX_SM_KENWOOD_EN/mode/2up

I edited your post to reflect today's date, hope that's ok, if not let me know and I can change it back......

rafacq and Emiel like this.
  3. Cassette2go

Cassette2go Well-Known Member

Learn German. I spent 2 years over there. I learned to speak it a little bit from 1977 to 1980. I was in Wurzberg That's probably not the right spelling and then I moved to Schweinfurt for the remainder of my tour

rafacq and Emiel like this.
  4. rafacq

rafacq New Member

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, the Kenwood KX-1100HX deal did not go through, it turned out not to be fully functional so I cancelled the order. I did find a working JVC KD-V6 that is in good working order! For now I am happy with 3 working decks and one broken! At some point would love to have my original KD-V6 fixed, but have no idea if there are any good repair shops here in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area.

Again, thanks for the reply.

Mister X and Cassette2go like this.
  5. rafacq

rafacq New Member

I actually took 2 years of French in high school, and with the help of some cassettes was even able to speak a little when we last went to Paris to celebrate our 25th anniversary, 25 years ago! I did take a year of German in college but found it awfully difficult! That was about 48 years ago, now I don't remember a word! Thanks for the comment.

Mister X and Cassette2go like this.
  6. TooCooL4

TooCooL4 Well-Known Member

Welcome to Stereo2go rafacq

rafacq likes this.
  7. Cassette2go

You can try Dallas vintage audio that's in fort Worth and then in Plano there's a place called 3D electronics so Google that. And then there's me, I am in far North Dallas on the map edit according to where you live Dallas vintage audio would be the best place for you to go cuz that's closest to you. Maybe guessing 10 miles. About 3 years ago I had a unit repaired there

Last edited: Sep 22, 2024 at 4:10 PM
    rafacq likes this.
  8. rafacq

rafacq New Member

Thanks! Are you in the DFW area?

Cassette2go likes this.
  9. Cassette2go

Yes, I live in the far north Dallas area. I live so far north. Addison is to the west of me. Plano is north of me and Richardson is east of me. Let you figure that out

rafacq likes this.
  10. rafacq

rafacq New Member

IMG_6167.jpeg
    That is excellent. It is not a long drive fromEuless. Have you worked on a JVC cassette deck before? Would you be interested in looking at my JVC KD-V6? It needs a new belt, I already ordered it and have it. It also does not play the left channel. When you turn it on, the VU Meter shows a signal but when I use my headphones, there is no sound. So probably something is wrong on a board. I do have the service manual for it. Hopefully you can see the attached files.
    upload_2024-9-22_21-51-39.png

Mister X likes this.
  11. Cassette2go

I have these.
    17271080388116074514128517523351.jpg
    It's been a long time goal to repair the teac. I just haven't gotten to it yet.

Mister X likes this.