Another clone, I wonder if Auto has one? I had two Wintec Receivers at one time, the little ones, I think they were the 1030's? I don't sell much equipment but those were sold off, I actually told the guy buying the one, that he had to take both. The larger Wintec Receiver is collectable but they have a dated 1970's looking face. Nowadays "Wintech" is pushing out small audio products, I have no idea if they are related.
My guess is not related. Spelled differently. “They” say the original Wintec was a short lived California corporation. Roughly 1976 to 1979. When they folded the major investors fire sales the inventory. Extremely limited documentation. Will be fun to open it up!
Look over on Audio Karma, I know we were talking about them 20 years ago but yea, very little documentation. Most people don't know that there were a ton of smaller companies trying to get into the audio market in the late 70's. Most were buying pre-made from established manufacturers or buying individual components and assembling them in their own space.
Trying to upload acouple of interior pics. keep saying server error. I’ll keep trying. Anyway, Lots of steel and brass. Kinda cool…. Motor spins great with 6V. Belt super loose but not gooey at all. Current challenge is getting that the small screw out on the flywheel cover Needed to replace belt there is blocked by one of the plastic buttons. I’m afraid if I put any force on that button for removal that I’ll break it. Guessing Grainger doesn’t have a replacement.
Are you using a JIS screwdriver? I put out the call for Walkman Archive in regards to forum issues but haven't heard back yet.........
hi, yes thanks to this forum I now have a full set of JIS screwdrivers. that actually wasn’t my issue. I just didn’t have access because the screw was pointing right at one of the plastic buttons (eject). I was ultimately able to get the plastic button off. Slow and steady pulling on it overcame the 45 year-old gummy glue adhesive. The screw came right off. Hoping to upload some photos. Is there something going on with the server right now? The belt path on this is pretty crazy in that the belt comes into the flywheel at an angle to the plane of the flywheel. A little hard to explain in words. They clearly had some real estate issues. This thing is pretty cool. I did a bunch of ChatGPT work to try to identify who the actual manufacturer is, but I’m not quite there yet. There’s a couple of options.
If you haven't seen this thread, one of the greatest forum posts, it might help in your search. Or better yet, it will boggle your mind with how many contractors and subcontractors there were in the golden years of audio. NEC, Cybernet, Kyocera and several other players were big with contract manufacturing. Then they got absorbed but it didn't help as offshoring to Hong Kong, Taiwan, Singapore and eventually China happened. I recently got a killer Sears Boomer, most of their stuff was blaise Sanyo but this one is an exceptional Asahi (morning sun). Now when I research Asahi there a bunch of them, one makes beer, one makes pipes/valves for chemicals, one makes electronics, etc...... https://web.archive.org/web/2014060...knob.org/tvk_talk/viewtopic.php?f=1477&t=2395
Couple of pics but most of this is visible in the YouTube video. Mister X thanks for the thread link. Really incredible! Unfortunately I don’t have the right size belt. Need to buy another cheap Amazon set just to see if everything works. Can get a nicer one later. Lastly, for being 45 years old everything is so clean I wonder if it was used much. Inside is spotless. It must have been stored in a closed box or drawer. Can’t wait to see if it works!