Looking for a Walkman / cassette deck repairer for documentary research Hi everyone, I'm a UK documentary location sound recordist and I'm currently developing a documentary project about hearing, sound and the possibility of repairing/regenerating biological hearing. I'm looking for someone who repairs Sony Walkmans, portable cassette players and/or cassette decks, ideally someone with a real depth of knowledge and affection for the technology rather than simply someone who carries out repairs commercially. I'm particularly interested in finding someone who is comfortable talking about what actually happens when you repair one of these machines — how you diagnose a fault, understand what has failed, find the right components, clean and adjust things, replace belts/parts, get the mechanism working properly again and ultimately bring something back to life. There's also a bigger reason I'm interested in this. My own relationship with sound began when I was six years old and received my first Sony Walkman. That experience was one of the things that eventually led me into a career spanning more than 25 years as a documentary location sound recordist. I'm now making a film which asks a much bigger question: If we can understand, maintain and repair the machines that carry sound, why is repairing the biological system that allows us to experience sound such a difficult frontier? I'm fascinated by the possibility of using the repair of an old Walkman or cassette deck as a visual and philosophical thread through the film — something physical, mechanical and understandable being carefully restored, alongside scientists trying to understand and potentially restore something vastly more complex inside the human body. So I'm not simply looking for somebody who can demonstrate how to change a belt. I'd love to find someone who can talk about things such as: What makes these machines repairable? How do you work out what has gone wrong? What can still be restored decades after manufacture? What does it feel like to bring a machine back to life? What makes analogue mechanisms like these so satisfying to work on? What is actually happening mechanically and electronically when we press PLAY? Is there something about repairing old technology that has been lost in the age of disposable electronics? And perhaps, ultimately, what does “repair” really mean? The intention at this stage is research and a potential documentary interview, rather than a commitment to filming anyone who responds. I'm interested in finding the right person first and having a conversation. I'm particularly interested in someone who would be happy to talk on camera and who has a good workshop/environment where the repair process could potentially be observed and filmed in detail — screws, mechanisms, belts, heads, cleaning, testing, reassembly, pressing PLAY etc. The film is currently in development, so I'm deliberately looking for interesting people and real expertise rather than trying to manufacture a finished production around them. There's a little more about the project here: Hearing Regeneration Alliance If you think you might be suitable, or know somebody who might be, I'd be very grateful if you could reply here or contact me at: contact@hearingregenerationalliance.org Thanks very much, Paul Miller UK documentary location sound recordist Hearing Regeneration Alliance
Sound like an interesting project, we have several very experienced members, hopefully you'll get some responses.
Thank you Mister X...much appreciated and I'm sure it could prove a mutually enriching project. Best wishes. Paul
I'm wondering if you also mentioned this in the Walkmen Tech Threads, it might get better views, sometimes it gets lonely in the lounge area.