Server problems (disk full, need to upgrade and need donations)

Discussion in 'Announcements and suggestions' started by walkman archive, Sep 22, 2026 at 12:53 PM.

  1. walkman archive

    walkman archive Administrator Staff Member

    Messages:
    1,909
    Trophy Points:
    113
    Location:
    Barcelona
    Hi everyone!

    It's been so much time since my last post here... I lost my interest in walkmans for several years due to my personal situation, but I feel bit by bit I'm slowly going back to them; but that's another story...

    Now I'm writing you because we have a problem: the server is full of space, actually 100GB, so no more photos or videos can be uploaded for now.

    So, how to solve this? Well, we need to upgrade the hosting plan that we currently have on Bluehost servers. The problem is that we are thight on funds, because upgrading from 100GB to 150GB which is the next level cost 35$/month and in less that 1 month we have to renew the year plan (more than 400$/yr).

    Also we must upgrade the forum software to be protected from attacks, and this means we have to buy a new license for the software that runs all this, as well as an expert that does the upgrade.

    We need some of you to donate -even a bit-, preferably in a monthly basis so we can upgrade and keep all this running without subscriptions or advertisings.

    I'm currently contacting an expert in that and will update you about how it's going all these, ok?

    In the meantime, if anyone wants to donate, please don't forget to add a note of who are you in the forum, to set you as a suporter.

    Regards,
     
  2. 19lexicon78

    19lexicon78 Active Member

    Messages:
    297
    Trophy Points:
    28
    Location:
    netherlands
    donations paypal doesn't work: "This organization can't accept donations right now."
     
  3. Experious

    Experious Active Member

    Messages:
    129
    Trophy Points:
    43
    Location:
    Melbourne
    So I have noticed that many of the magazine and catalogue scans are are in PNG format, in fact many of my earlier ones were as well as this is the default for my scanner. I have converted a few to JPG and they are 6 times smaller in file size for the same resolution, and the difference on the screen is pretty much unnoticeable. An added bonus is that the pages load much faster, or at least they do on my "arse end of the world" internet. I am not sure if there is a way we can batch convert existing images which would save a considerable amount of space, although I suspect that would not be an easy process if it were possible.

    It might be something to think about for users attaching scans going forward though.
     
  4. Mister X

    Mister X Moderator Staff Member

    Messages:
    20,179
    Trophy Points:
    113
    Location:
    Minnesota
    I'm not an expert on this but I was told that, in the past, .PNG was better and smaller data size than .jpg. I've grown to not like .PNG just through dealing with it everyday on here and maintaining multiple websites and social media, the biggest reason is the resolution stinks. That's just a personal opinion, I haven't dug into it at all.

    I just looked up one of my posted images, the original is .jpg but it downloads as a .PNG and 1/2 the original data size. 20 years ago, image size was an issue, both in presentation and data transfer but we had a ton of hosting programs like Tiny Pics that would gladly bank your photos. Nowadays, the other sites I'm uploading to are resizing the photos, I can upload in any size, they automatically downsize them.

    They claim that over 50% of internet traffic is robot scrapers and I imagine they download everything on the site on a regular basis. Searching any of the AI search engines shows they hit this site hard.
     
  5. Experious

    Experious Active Member

    Messages:
    129
    Trophy Points:
    43
    Location:
    Melbourne
    This seems to be the wrong way 'round. PNG uses a lossless compression format (like, for example, FLAC) so there will be no degradation of the picture quality, but larger file sizes. JPG uses lossy compression (similar to MP3), so is pretty much always going to be smaller, with image quality being affected if too much compression is used. Note that pretty much all cameras use JPG unless they are set up to use RAW which is not relevant for a website.

    I always reduce the size of any picture I am uploading to maximum 1920 x 1280, particularly photos as my camera has a native resolution of 6000 x 4000 and my phone 4032 x 3024. This also gives me control on what the image is going to look like as the sites do not have to compress them. I did try your idea of downloading a scan, in particular one of the Sharp Visual Integration pamphlet pages that I had updated to JPG, and the file that cam down was identical to what I had uploaded. I did notice the "upload" dialogue shows a maximum of 2000 x 1600 so I wonder if pictures larger than this are automatically converted.

    Just for reference, here are the sizes of page 1 of the Sharp VI catalogue.
    Original scan - 8,097KB (2643 x 1461 resolution PNG)
    Downsized copy - 3,843KB (1920 x 1061 resolution PNG). This is the one I originally uploaded.
    Converted copy - 638KB (1920 x 1061 resolution JPG). This is the one that is currently uploaded.

    I was looking up the model number of my old minidisc player the other day (before I realised that the unit in its box was sitting on the floor next to me) and found a photo of my (old) bedroom in the search results that I had uploaded here, so they are definitely scraping the site!
     
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2026 at 8:46 PM
  6. Longman

    Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

    Messages:
    4,082
    Trophy Points:
    113
    Location:
    Bournemouth UK
    I'm having the same problem. I also can't work out how to increase my Paypal monthly payment. I guess that has to be done from this site rather than the Paypal one.

    Another observation is that the "Donate Now" button doesn't seem to appear until you have logged it. I donate to Wikipedia and The Internet archive without being a member of them.
    The last Internet Archive donation was in response to finding an instruction manual which wasn't on the equipment manufacturers website there.
    Something I don't like about the Boombox site is that you can't view photos properly without logging in. I only log in here when I have something to say.
     
    Mister X likes this.
  7. Rune Lindman

    Rune Lindman Active Member

    Messages:
    129
    Trophy Points:
    43
    Location:
    Sweden
    How do I donate? I don’t see any donate button.
     
  8. Experious

    Experious Active Member

    Messages:
    129
    Trophy Points:
    43
    Location:
    Melbourne
    The Donate button is in the right hand navigation panel of the homepage just under New Posts (desktop) or near the bottom of the page, again under New Posts (mobile). As others have mentioned, pressing it comes currently comes up with the error "This organisation can't accept donations right now." I can also confirm that it doesn't show at all (along with Members Online, Most Likes and Forum Statistics) if you are not logged in.

    Strangely, the Today's Birthdays section appears to only show up if you are not logged in!
     
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2026 at 3:01 AM
    Rune Lindman likes this.
  9. Mister X

    Mister X Moderator Staff Member

    Messages:
    20,179
    Trophy Points:
    113
    Location:
    Minnesota
    Back around 2012 the old owner moved to Hoopla Forum Hosting, that was a mess and just plain ugly, I think I quit logging in for a couple years. Xenforo seems to be 100x better but yea some of those plugins seem backwards. I would imagine the donation button might need updates? I bet the net scum love hitting that for ill-gotten booty.
     
    Experious likes this.
  10. Experious

    Experious Active Member

    Messages:
    129
    Trophy Points:
    43
    Location:
    Melbourne
    Please let me know if I can help in any way. My background is actually in Quality Assurance, but as such I have used a few different programs to design and style websites, and I don't mind learning something new. Otherwise, I can certainly test any changes that are made on a few different devices at least.
     
  11. AE_Stereo

    AE_Stereo Active Member S2G Supporter

    Messages:
    133
    Trophy Points:
    43
    Location:
    UAE
    Donate button leads to this:

    This organization can't accept donations right now.

    Please address this.
     
    Mister X likes this.
  12. Mister X

    Mister X Moderator Staff Member

    Messages:
    20,179
    Trophy Points:
    113
    Location:
    Minnesota
    I emailed Walkman Archive, sorry I have very limited access.
     
  13. walkman archive

    walkman archive Administrator Staff Member

    Messages:
    1,909
    Trophy Points:
    113
    Location:
    Barcelona
    Hello guys,
    Sorry that I'm busy these days and did not see this.
    Ok, I'm correcting the Donate button now.

    Here's a direct link if you prefer: DONATE
     
  14. walkman archive

    walkman archive Administrator Staff Member

    Messages:
    1,909
    Trophy Points:
    113
    Location:
    Barcelona
    Ok, the main button works now.
     
  15. walkman archive

    walkman archive Administrator Staff Member

    Messages:
    1,909
    Trophy Points:
    113
    Location:
    Barcelona
    Absolutely! PNG is an almost prehistoric format with a very inefficient compression compared -not even with modern formats like WebP- but with the also prehistoric too JPEG. So please load scans in JPG instead of PNG to help saving space.
    I have no idea if we can now convert the existing PNG to JPEG, but if that's possible, it will take some time and cost. I'll research, however.
     
    Experious likes this.
  16. walkman archive

    walkman archive Administrator Staff Member

    Messages:
    1,909
    Trophy Points:
    113
    Location:
    Barcelona
    That's not true. PNG is not better or worse than other formats, it's just better suited or not for that use. For scans and regular photos that we share here, is a bad format because of the inefficient compression compared to JPEG. PNG is meant to be used when you use images with transparency (like logos without the white frame surround), not with regular photos.
    So please try to stick to JPEG and please help spreading the word on this, thanks!
     
  17. walkman archive

    walkman archive Administrator Staff Member

    Messages:
    1,909
    Trophy Points:
    113
    Location:
    Barcelona
    Thanks for the point. Didn't notice that until now...
    Not a big problem as anyone that participates in the forum HAS to be logged, so I wouldn't bother so much, but is good to know...
     
    Experious likes this.
  18. Longman

    Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

    Messages:
    4,082
    Trophy Points:
    113
    Location:
    Bournemouth UK
    I have sent a donation using the link you posted.

    My point above is that some people might consider sending a donation without wanting to sign up.
    Wikipedia is a good example of a site I regularly donate to despite not being a member. Every three months or so they do a fundraiser. They must track peoples usage using cookies or similar as during fundraisers when accessing their home I get messages like
    "In the last 3 months you accessed 93 articles. Do you thing this knowledge is worth $3 ? I everyone donated $3 our funding needs would be met".
     
    Mister X and Experious like this.
  19. Mister X

    Mister X Moderator Staff Member

    Messages:
    20,179
    Trophy Points:
    113
    Location:
    Minnesota
    We get a ton of non-member viewing, I see it on other social media and I know there's a ton of YouTube Scrapers looking for new content on this site.
     
  20. Experious

    Experious Active Member

    Messages:
    129
    Trophy Points:
    43
    Location:
    Melbourne
    I do believe there may be people out there that find information on this site, but don't necessarily want to join just to show there appreciation.
     
    radiorich likes this.

Share This Page