Hi everyone

Discussion in 'Introducing myself' started by adri3650, Sep 23, 2026 at 6:38 AM.

  1. adri3650

    adri3650 New Member

    Messages:
    4
    Trophy Points:
    3
    Location:
    Belgium
    Thanks for letting me join this forum, I'm passionate about vinatge Technics and Sony hifi devices.
     
    Mister X likes this.
  2. Mister X

    Mister X Moderator Staff Member

    Messages:
    20,179
    Trophy Points:
    113
    Location:
    Minnesota
    Welcome to the forum! My first "real" stereo was a Technics TT and stack of Sony. I actually bought some Technics Speakers first, they were getting blown out by the local electronics store, it took awhile but I slowly got the rest piece by piece.
     
    adri3650 likes this.
  3. adri3650

    adri3650 New Member

    Messages:
    4
    Trophy Points:
    3
    Location:
    Belgium
    I have technics SU-X901 full tower with the glass black technics furniture.

    At the moment Im trying to fix a TCS-470, the metal axe just fell out
     
    Mister X likes this.
  4. Mister X

    Mister X Moderator Staff Member

    Messages:
    20,179
    Trophy Points:
    113
    Location:
    Minnesota
    Very nice, I think I killed my 90's Technics Receiver, I had it hooked to a subwoofer that went boom and now zero sound, it might have taken out everything.
     
  5. Experious

    Experious Active Member

    Messages:
    129
    Trophy Points:
    43
    Location:
    Melbourne
    Welcome to the forum!

    Like this?
    technics-midi-hifi-system.jpg

    I don't think we had these models here (in Australia), the ones with the Technics specific racks were all full sized components and the midi systems were reserved for bookshelves, at least according to the catalogues of the time. I have the poverty pack model of this (based off the SU-X101), which I eventually swapped out for the SU-X102 model (technically the Series X110CD for the whole system), but it still sounds pretty awesome with a pair of Sony APM-20ES speakers!
    DSC_5749.JPG
     
  6. Mister X

    Mister X Moderator Staff Member

    Messages:
    20,179
    Trophy Points:
    113
    Location:
    Minnesota
    I'm not sure if these are slightly different but in the USA, Technics was pretty easy to spot with the "waist band." Mine was the model just below this, the GX500.
    https://vintagetechnics.audio/receivers/SA-GX505
    upload_2026-9-27_10-0-4.png

    I think I have this one, Technics was getting rid of "vintage" style and had that waist line in most of the equipment I saw.
    https://vintage-audio-laser.com/Technics-SL-P1

    upload_2026-9-27_10-8-40.png


    Radio Raheem used to love Technics, he has a few photos on here with stacks of the big stuff, not only was he bi-amping but I think he was bi-eq'ing the speakers.
     
  7. Experious

    Experious Active Member

    Messages:
    129
    Trophy Points:
    43
    Location:
    Melbourne
    Ha ha, I had never noticed the "waistband" design before, what a great name for it! Funnily enough my Sony deck has a similar design, so maybe it was just the style at the time (like hanging onions off your belt :p).

    DSC_5754.JPG

    The thing that always stood out to me about the late 80s/early 90s Technics units was the volume being displayed in -ve decibels, it would be years (if not decades) before that became mainstream!
     
    Mister X likes this.

Share This Page