Added a boxed Wm-60 to the collection...

Discussion in 'Gallery' started by Recaptcha, Apr 4, 2023.

1. Recaptcha

Recaptcha Well-Known Member

Now that I've graduated college and finally paid off THOSE expenses, I can start collecting the Walkmans I deserve lol. This WM-60 is CIB, and was only used a few times by the OG owner. This was for sale on eBay for a good amount from Japan, but I got it much cheaper by going directly to the JP seller. I am quite pleased with the condition of everything, and it works perfectly to boot.

20230404_170410.JPG 20230404_170500.JPG 20230404_170507.JPG 20230404_170518.JPG 20230404_170551~2.JPG

This was a fairly uncommon unit from what I read, and it omits sound enhancement buttons/features for an EQ adjustment, and it's even 5 bands. It sounds loud and powerful like a classic Walkman should. I especially love the fact it's made of metal on both sides, with plastic in-between. Feels like a mashup between a cheap all plastic model and the high-end WM-101 made the same year. really good quality tbh but it feels less like a slippery bar of soap (looking at you Wm-10/20).

I am super lucky to find this a place in my growing collection... I've got quite a few models now, all CIB so I'll be posting some nice group photos (not on the damn carpet either!) soon.

DocP, isolator42, Silver965 and 3 others like this.
  2. Emiel

Emiel Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

It looks like it just came out of the store, great find!

Recaptcha likes this.
  3. StaticAudio

StaticAudio Active Member

Looks great, super nice find!

Recaptcha likes this.
  4. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

congratulations, It looks almost new.

5. On The Beach

On The Beach Active Member

I did see this for sale, I don’t remember it being that cheap.

I bought a wm-60 a few weeks back, looks in perfect physical condition but doesn’t work of course. Paid aud$50, not bad for in Australia.
    Ordered a belt to start with, it on the way. Will look at the insides once the belt arrives.

Emiel and Recaptcha like this.
  6. Recaptcha

Nice! That is really a good price. I saw mine listed on eBay by a JP proxy seller for around $650… yikes. I paid a good bit, but definitely less than the eBay price by several hundred dollars. I know I could make my money back by popping it on U.S. eBay or selling it at a local shop in my city. I have the benefit of showing it serviced, proof of it working and free from storage wear/battery corrosion, and it’s here in the US now, which is a big positive. Plus, the original pictures were really poor.

I’m interested to see how the repair does for your WM-60! I had to replace the belt in mine, the old was goo. What I always do is open up new Walkman’s before powering them up for the first time, that way I can remove the melted belt in big chunks, as the motor hasn’t slung the belt all over the inside and bunched it up around the pulleys. The melted belt is always such a pain to clean up….

Emiel likes this.
  7. On The Beach

yep, I saw yours at that original silly price (well silly for my wallet)
    Is that all it needed, a new belt? You didn’t need anything else.? I’ve had terrible luck fixing Walkman, I buy ones the physically look perfect but they never just need a belt.
    I really hope this one is a fairly simple fix as I really like the look of it.

Recaptcha likes this.
  8. Recaptcha

Yep, all it needed was a delicate hand to show it some love and a new belt. I've seen Walkmans get ruined over the years by those gooey belts. That goo can do anything. Corrode metal, discolor plastic, crack gears... All with chemical reactions. I'd say getting into the Wm-60 is harder for me than the later models. I had the power LED that was bent at a 90 degree angle under a metal tab keeping the board in. I had to bend it back straight as I tugged gently on the board. eek.

Trust me, I've had plenty of bad luck with these things too. What I've found is, it really comes down to how many hours it was played, and how it was stored. I've had much better luck since I started training my eye to find lightly used walkman vs walkman that was heavily used but still taken good care of. It costs more to buy open box, but you don't have to worry about users taking the devices out into the rain or dropping it, or anything like that.

Thankfully with this unit, it's not too complicated electronically, so your problems should be mechanical ones if you have any.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2023
    On The Beach likes this.
  9. Silver965

Silver965 Well-Known Member

I have one but it is not in the same condition ...

Beautiful

10. On The Beach

You can see in my signature, some of the Walkman I have (I have some others as well) , half I have tried to fix … cleaned them so carefully of the old belt, new FixYourAudio belt, and none are working well .. usually W&F or just other issues . It got to me a bit that I’ve just stopped trying to fix them .. I will get back to them one day.

All posts on Reddit etc, saying put new belt on and works perfect … seems a lie.