[Advice] Should I buy this DD-11?

Discussion in 'Chat Area' started by Walkmanlover, Mar 10, 2022.

1. Walkmanlover

Walkmanlover New Member

2. Valentin

Valentin Well-Known Member

It's hard to say for sure if it's repairable without seeing it or knowing more details.
    The seller states motor does not turn and LED does not light up.
    This means that unit is not receiving any voltage, that can be as simple as a corrorded battery terminal or a dirty/corroded leaf switch or it can be something more involved, like problems in auto-off circuit for example.

Keep in mind this devices will need a new rubber set (capstan ring + belt) and a complete recap, even if everything else is ok. I can't draw any conclusion: the device is likely repairable, but it will require at least new caps and rubber set.
    Draw your own conclusion based on your repair and soldering skills. Parts are available on fixyouraudio.com if you decide to buy it.

At least the seller is honest and telling the truth, as many will be selling as unable to test and ask for a high price just because.

3. Walkmanlover

Walkmanlover New Member

Since you're the professional who wrote this thread, would you be able to help me choose from DD22 or DD33? 11 has too much corrosion on further inspection.

I am ready and willing to recap.

4. Valentin

Valentin Well-Known Member

Between DD22 and DD33 I would choose the DD33 as it's a better design with lower wow&flutter and much more sturdy overall build quality.

The DD33 has no problem with capacitors, will need a new center and a new capstan ring for the most part.

At the end of day it depends what you want. If you want to have a small collection, you should probably buy both.
    If you are to buy just one, I would go for the DD33, but you may have a different opinion.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2022
    Emiel likes this.
  5. Emiel

Emiel Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

Also note that DD33 is not the successor of the DD22. The latter is the last in line cost reduced DD series.

Valentin and Walkmanlover like this.