Akai GX-M10 rewind

Discussion in 'Cassette Decks' started by Cassette_Noob, Jul 19, 2023.

1. Cassette_Noob

Cassette_Noob New Member

I recently purchased an Akai GX-M10. I replaced all the belts and cleaned the unit up without any issue.

The unit plays, records, and fast forwards without issue. However, when I rewind the motor speed progressively gets slower and slower. As the beginning of the tape approaches the unit slows to almost a standstill.

Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this issue? Thank you!!

2. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

It could be several issues, the tape might have sticky "Coke" on the beginning, the belt is slipping, the tape case might be adding friction and many more.

Some decks have a slow down feature when you get close to the end, I have no idea how that works for different models. This deck looks like it has a memory feature tied into the tape counter. I've found that the tape counter belt usually never breaks but it does get hard and will stop turning, tripping the motor stop. I'm wondering also if the tape counter mech needs some cleaning and lube, if that's sticking it might also trip the motor brake.

I'm not an expert on this equipment, good luck with the repairs.

Jorge likes this.
  3. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

Agreed, you won't know until you open her up. But. If play and back-tension up to specs, then maybe no reason to worry? I use cheapo plastic Sony Walkman to rewind my tapes, some cassettes shed so badly that I do not want all that dirt inside my deck

:delighted:
    rewind.jpg
    :omg:

Mister X likes this.
  4. Cassette_Noob

Cassette_Noob New Member

I have another Akai GX-M10 that rewinds normally with the same tape. I replaced all 3 of the belts in both units. I also cleaned both units with a demagnetizer/ mechanical cleaning tape. I wonder if it’s an electrical issue with some of the capacitors?