Another "Biggest Walkman" contender: A Conic walkman

Discussion in 'Gallery' started by stuck-in-time, Feb 3, 2019.

1. stuck-in-time

stuck-in-time Well-Known Member

Found this some time ago, and I was immediately drawn to its minimalist design. I really like this type of design, and this seems to be as minimal as it gets?
    P1015989.JPG P1016000.JPG P1016039.JPG P1016043.JPG

As with some Conic boomboxes, apparently, this unit has no model number. It's one of those walkmans based on a car casette player, like the Sanyo M6060, only a tad bigger. Never seen anything this big before. It measures around 888 cm3.
    P1016046.JPG

Inside it's quite low-end. Unlike the Sanyo, this is one of those very simple 1 spindled units. It's got the 80's customary hotline and dual headphone jacks, tho'.
    P1016017.JPG

Talk about cheap design. The play button actually juts out that much! Something I find odd and annoying.
    P1016038.JPG P1016036.JPG

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
    Migilus Migilacuty likes this.
  2. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

Something makes me think that there is another name underneath that Conic sticker.

I reckon that is bigger than the Motorola stereo cassette player I bought for my first car back in 1981
    I suppose they needed extra room for the batteries.

3. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

Nice find, I'm with Longman, most likely a Taiwan Private Label Model, order a few hundred and we'll put your name on it. It's still an interesting build and historical rare piece.

4. stuck-in-time

Yeah. It's definitely one of those OEM stuffs, but this one's got a Japanese ALPS mechanism. Quite a reputable name, I think.

I'm guessing that's just the mechanism though?

P1016021 ed.jpg

5. nickelindimer

nickelindimer Active Member

A single spindle? Soulds a lot like my first cassette personal stereo: A Crown SZ-11.
    [​IMG]

6. stuck-in-time

On cheaper walkmans sometimes the other spindle's just a stub of plastic, so I find it quite funny that this has got none at all.

7. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

That is probably due to the way the cassette loads from the end. From what I remember of my Motorola there is effectively a hinge at one end of the mechanism so there is very little clearance and that end. Not enough for a second spindle.

8. stuck-in-time

Oh yeah, that makes sense! Not necessary too, I guess. It's something hidden.