Boombox Recommendations

Discussion in 'Chat Area' started by Anthony, May 18, 2024.

1. Anthony

Anthony New Member

Looking to purchase my first boombox. Obviously I want a cassette boombox but I have very limited space so I’m looking for something more on the smaller side. I just want a cassette (doesn’t have to be twin) and a radio. My only real dealbreaker is that I would prefer to have Dolby. It’s not like I want to record in Dolby, it’s just that it would be nice to have for Dolby encoded tapes. Even thought yes I know you don’t need Dolby to listen to encoded tapes, it would just be nice to have. Size wise I’m guessing something similar in size to the Sharp QT’s I suppose. I know this might be a bit of a tall order but if anyone has any recommendations I appreciate it. I don’t mind fixing it if it’s broken either, I’m pretty good at repairing tape decks. Also my preferred budget would be under $200 if possible. But I can be flexible.

Cassette2go likes this.
  2. smeltedcheese

smeltedcheese New Member

The Pioneer SK-350 has Dolby and a fairly low-profile design. They show up frequently on eBay and can usually be had for under $200.

3. Hyperscope

Hyperscope Active Member

I think this is a good question. Seriously. It should be a sticky pinned to the forum top and filled with various makes and model options that are common on e-bay and, I dare say, have few problem and can stand up to the years.

I had to re-read the question again to make sure - but you don't mention if it needs to be a vintage boombox or one of the modern ones? Because there are actually some decent modern new ones. With tape decks. (Check amazon etc.,) Ugly though :wink: but at least you don't have to pull your hair out trying to fix them up. I've just about had enough with trying to fix these old boxes myself.

(I recently got an ugly 1992 Panasonic RX-DT707 from e-bay, local, 50% off, based on many comments on how awesome these things sound. And it does sound fantastic for a big plastic ugly fugly. Apparently near about as good as it gets according to those who know. If you don't mind the looks and can find one decent price I would -gasp- actually say start searching for and watching youtube videos of those early 90's Panasonic Cobra head things. Might be something you want to try.)

4. smeltedcheese

smeltedcheese New Member

Good point, I didn't think of new boomboxes. Two more old models with Dolby to consider: the JVC RC-656 (medium sized, reasonably priced) and the Sony CFS-F11 (small, expensive).

5. Hyperscope

Hyperscope Active Member

I neglected to mention that none of the new boxes have Dolby anymore. So that is one more disadvantage to new ones...

6. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

Good luck, I don't know if anyone ever published a list of boxes with Dolby NR, I've got a kind of big Hitachi TRK with it but looking around the office, nothing else. Several have a metal switch, where's Reli when we need him.

7. smeltedcheese

smeltedcheese New Member

Not very common on boomers, it seems. I didn't bother with Dolby on my tapes but the double D logo looked cool and gave cassette decks extra cache. [)(]

8. StaticAudio

StaticAudio Active Member

There is a reasonable amount of boomboxes with Dolby B I think.
    I've got a Panasonic RX-5500. It has Dolby B. This was not really a high model in the line-up of Panasonic.
    Also it's not very large compared to a lot of other boxes.

And an extra advantage of this model is that all controls are on the front of the boombox. So no cassettebuttons on top or a tuningknob on the right.
    It would fit in a tight space.
    Only the FM aerial is on top but it has connections on the back for an external one.

Last edited: May 23, 2024
    smeltedcheese likes this.
  9. Reli

Reli Well-Known Member

Here are some that are fairly common and easy to find. Keep in mind, they only have Dolby B, not the more advanced Dolby C.

Panasonic RX-5085
    Panasonic RX-5250
    Panasonic RX-5500
    Sanyo M9880
    Sanyo C30
    Sharp GF-8989

Cassette2go and smeltedcheese like this.
  10. soluna

soluna Active Member

There is one item, you must think - FM Radio will be turned off in the next couple of years. But it`s an important theme in the forum anyway - i`m just looking for a new boombox too - preferring a Sharp GF ( 9090, 8989 ).

11. soluna

soluna Active Member

I just got a JVC RC 656 - very cheap with a little luck - the cassette function has to be repaired, and the radio works fine. The Boombox has a very good sound, by my meaning. I can recommend this.

Cassette2go likes this.
  12. Cassette2go

Cassette2go Well-Known Member

Shark GX 250 has Dolby
    17185049347829194050433400916991.jpg
    That is the sharp at the top of this picture. For reference, the next model down is a lasonic lpc-82 and then the bottom in this picture is a Toyota ea900

Radio Raheem likes this.
  13. Cassette2go

The Sears I don't recall the model number. I'd have to take it down and look on the back to get the model number but it has its own anr brand of noise reduction 17185052311607305702680076259911.jpg
    The model on top is a pioneer ct3 I think which has new surrounds on the woofers. The Sears. I still need to replace the motor in it. And the red one is a sansui w55 I think and it needs a total rebuilding new belts. That's what I said. I'm speaking to this phone. I haven't gotten around to doing that yet. Someday soon.

Radio Raheem likes this.
  14. Cassette2go

Sanyo mr-v9 & m7790 also have Dolby, I also have a black one m7790 not in this picture 17185057476887867324421441880433.jpg
    The box is standing up is a sanyo m7950k and it does not have Dolby does not have, but it does have shortwave whereas the models that are laying down on their back do not have shortwave but do have Dolby. Ps all of these the cassette players work because I've rebuilted all of them. decentman4you2007@gmail.com

Radio Raheem, Des911 and C83 like this.