Bought a nice WM-DC2 today

Discussion in 'Chat Area' started by tomtom87, Aug 13, 2022.

1. tomtom87

tomtom87 Active Member

Hello,

I bought this WM-DC2 today, thought I overpaid it. But after some research I noticed that boxed units go for crazy money. This is my DC2: https://www.catawiki.com/en/l/60899347-sony-wm-dc2-professional-walkman

Can someone tell me what was the original headphones that came with the DC2?

I cant believe someone paid $782.79 for this DC2 https://www.ebay.com/itm/185428270049?hash=item2b2c62dbe1:g:dgcAAOSw60dig6DX&nma=true&si=J5%2BgQDmYaIoLpHMILeWDl6X8tzc%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

edit: did it came with the Sony MDR-60II? I see this topic but its still not clear with what headphone it came http://stereo2go.com/forums/threads/default-headphone-that-shipped-with-dc2-walkman.6835/

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 13, 2022
    Emiel and Mister X like this.
  2. TooCooL4

TooCooL4 Well-Known Member

It’s been such a long time ago, I can’t remember the original headphones that came with a DC2. It was an MDR- something, it may be the same one that came with the D6C.
    I had 7 DC2’s at one point, I gave one away to a member here that helped me with fixing a few of the broken main gears.

You can’t believe some one paid $782.79 for that DC2, I can’t believe you paid €800 for yours. I sold one of mine a while back with the original box and everything that came in the box except the
    original headphones for about £430 I think. I would not pay that much for one, but that’s just me.
    In the end I kept 2 of everything I used and parts for fixing them should I need, I guess 2 working units and 1 spare. So 2 x DC2’s, 2 x D6C’s and sold the rest.

Some pic's
    [​IMG]

Emiel, thid and Mister X like this.
  3. tomtom87

tomtom87 Active Member

That is very nice, the MDR-51 came with the D6C thank you very much for that information. Why has the DC2 in the middle a star and another color play button?

Ken Duc likes this.
  4. TooCooL4

Not entirely sure about the star, but I think it’s to do with the ones they made for the American military but don’t quote me on that.
    The silver play button, I added my own touch to make that DC2 different. It also has a silver door lock. :nwink:

Ken Duc likes this.
  5. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

I heard the star might be for the Canadian Market? Just going by my old crusty memory.

I love the mods TooCool4, the USA Market always had black silver or gray, never anything cool and I don't own any of these nice models.

Everything is going for silly money these days, especially the nicer units, when my family tells me I'm nuts I just show them a few ebay listings.

6. TooCooL4

Interesting Mister X, it would be nice to find out what the real origin of the star is.
    The mods, just adds a little unique touch to the unit.

7. Emiel

Emiel Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

I thought the MDR-40L came with it?
    Optional headphones are listed below, per the operating instructions:
    upload_2022-8-16_15-30-25.png

8. Emiel

The one you bought looks awesome @tomtom87 , especially because of the box and invoice!
    It is a pity Sony did not put the Professional label on the unit, they only did with the D6, D6C and D3.
    Edit:
    Perhaps it is not showing up appropriately in the pictures, but there should be a clear green ring printed on the housing around the headphone jack. I wish Sony would have used the green jack anyway, no exception, like on the other portables.

9. rpb424

rpb424 New Member

My DC2 (which I've had since 1985) came with MDR-40 cans, and I still have them. Given that mine is an early one then that's probably what was originally supplied from when it was introduced, but that's not to say that it was always like that for as long as the DC2 was sold.

My WM-D6C (sold a few years ago) came with MDR-51.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2022
    Emiel likes this.
  10. tomtom87

tomtom87 Active Member

Thank you very much for all of your information. I will go hunt a mdr-40 headphones.

Emiel likes this.
  11. Emiel

That will be an even more incredible package, a true time capsule!

12. Rune Lindman

Rune Lindman Member

Yes it would have been nice with a professional label on the DC2 but I can understand why it's not there. I'm not sure what professional would mean on a playback device, in what profession would it be used :delighted:

The D6 and D3 have recording so they have their places as a professional devices.

Emiel likes this.
  13. rpb424

rpb424 New Member

I can make out the green ring around the headphone jack. Not sure that silver door latch is original though, I don’t ever remember seeing a DC2 with anything other than a black one back then. The case looks to be in reasonable condition compared to mine of a similar age. My window disintegrated entirely about 10 years ago after having gone cloudy first, so maybe storage conditions affect it.

Emiel likes this.