Can't find good belts - Sony XO-D40 with severe wow & flutter

Discussion in 'Cassette Decks' started by kaisparkle, Jul 8, 2021.

1. kaisparkle

kaisparkle New Member

Hi everyone, haven't been on here in a while.
    I recently picked up an XO-D40 from a charity shop for NZ$10. After opening it up and soldering in a new power cable, everything seemed to be fine, apart from the obviously degraded belts. Unfortunately, this seems to be a relatively uncommon model, and I couldn't find any specific belt kits for it.

The service manual lists the mechanisms as such:
    Deck A: TCM-YM47W39, also used on the XO-D10CD + XO-D10S
    Deck B: TCM-YM47W38, also used on the XO-D10CD + XO-D10S

The service manual also lists the part numbers for the belts, but unfortunately no specifications for them.
    2x 3-390-807-01 - square cut, roughly 1mm
    2x 3-561-892-00 - square cut, roughly 1mm

I grabbed a Chinese assorted belt kit yesterday, and installed them on the deck (after cleaning the transport). Unfortunately, while the speed is in the right ballpark, it has _severe_ W&F issues. Using WFGUI, it peaked at ~1.5% on Deck A, and ~4.5% on Deck B. I'm guessing most of this is due to the low quality belts, but the mech likely needs to be lubricated as well.

I can't seem to find any belts for this model anywhere. I've messaged Mikohm and DeckTech on eBay to see if they have any info on the part numbers, but I might just have to measure the belt paths and order a similar one from one of those two suppliers.

If anybody has information on this machine - particularly the factory belt sizes or how to remove the mech from the machine to lubricate it - please let me know :)

Thank you!

2. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

You'll have a hard time with some of those 80's all in ones, I'm not sure if they were meant to be repaired or tossed. If there is any gooey belt left on the pulleys or axles it will cause similar issues, cheap thin belts tend to slip causing slow playback.

3. kaisparkle

kaisparkle New Member

Thankfully, the belts Sony originally used seemed to be decent quality - they only lost elasticity, they didn't leave any goop.
    DeckTech on eBay said he has a 1:1 replacement for one of the Sony part codes, and has a similar belt for the other one, so I'll probably grab those at some point.

While it's a cheap AIO, it actually sounds pretty decent in terms of frequency response. I got the W&F down to 1.5% on the second deck, but unfortunately the auto-stop seems to be triggering randomly, and if I try to continue playing, it'll snap the tape.