Cassette comeback in Australian news

Discussion in 'Cassettes' started by walkman archive, Aug 26, 2019.

Tags:
  1. walkman archive

walkman archive Administrator Staff Member

2. TooCooL4

TooCooL4 Well-Known Member

Why do these kind of people always paint cassettes in such bad light?

3. walkman archive

Because when you only have experienced mediocre recordings in mediocre cassettes made in mediocre boomboxes, you think that every other cassette, record and boombox is as bad as yours.
    Sad but true... :ohno2:

realoliver9912 likes this.
  4. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

I once bought a girlfriend a copy of Depeche Mode 101, after she said that it was one of her favourite albums but her car cassette player had destroyed hers by wrapping the tape around its internals. I've done a few mix tapes for girlfriends as well, and have even gone as far as producing my own recordings for them. Trying to do one onto CD was a bit of a nightmare as it took me longer to find, and work out how to use Audacity than to make the recording.

I do wonder what young people want for presents from Grandmas etc these days when they have subscriptions to Spotify etc. At least five tears ago a colleague told me about a girl telling his son about an album which she thought was really good. His reaction was "Thanks. I will listen to that on Spotify when I get home. My colleague said he had told him that back in the days of physical media that would have been the perfect excuse to ask if he could go back to her place and listen to it

5. TooCooL4

TooCooL4 Well-Known Member

Since I have just moved house, i had a couple of my new neighbours come round for drinks and music. I played some music from records and cassettes, both their jaws hit the ground and they said it does not sound like any cassette they have ever heard before.

Mister X and Boodokhan like this.
  6. Tim Walters

Tim Walters Member

And the most beautiful thing about that video was that they were using a Pioneer CT - f1250 cassette deck one of which I own in great condition. It was one of the rivals for the top spot in the cassette world, with 20 to 20 K response and so on.

7. walkman archive

Well, that CT-1250 is mine. In fact they took my video from my channel but it's ok, as they leaved the logo, though it cannot be seen very clearly.
    Mine was restored and upgraded by Alex from ANT Audio and it really sounds like heaven.

8. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

"It's a 17 year old leading the charge!"

I think they meant Stereo2go, it's about 17 years old and has always lead the way for cassettes

Awesome footage walkman archive, at least they showed a cool player.

9. Silverera

Silverera Active Member

Typical mainstream media take on the "humble" cassette. Wonder they didn't say so much hiss you couldn't hear the music. I suppose any publicity is better than none but so true that when you hear a high quality recording on a type IV cassette it opens your eyes about what was possible on this medium. They also missed the prices people are paying for Walkman on eBay these days.