Center Gear Repair Sony Walkman DD

Discussion in 'Gallery' started by ElisioClio, Apr 13, 2018.

1. ElisioClio

ElisioClio Member

Hello everyone I found out.
    Do you know the biggest problem wheel center walkman DD?
    Then watch video,
    Resolved. is easy.

vinchy likes this.
  2. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

Do you cut the cental gear from opposite site and glued them together?? or just pulled the broken part together?

3. ElisioClio

ElisioClio Member

I did not cut anything. it was so broke. same measure. Do not let it close. Then I thought and test I drew and sanding metal circle back and then put gear and closes correct and little super glue to hold. Truth runs well without clacking clac clac clac. I got so easy. I thought now. my brain worked.

4. Boodokhan

so as far as i understand you removed the broken gear, and after doing some cleaning/ sanding , glued the gear to its place while holding it tight to close the gap

5. T-ster

T-ster Moderator Staff Member S2G Supporter

He has removed the metal wheel and sanded if sufficiently to reduce it diameter by a few mm then glued the plastic cog back together, holding it closed to close the joint. Im sure have a few mm smaller wheel will affect the performance from factory spec a little but maybe its not enough to be too noticeable?

6. Boodokhan

very interesting
    @ElisioClio have you noticed any change in performance? does it play fine?

7. ElisioClio

ElisioClio Member

One day I'll show the video. OK

8. enryfox

enryfox Active Member

This is an alternative way of fixing the DD gear (I have a couple of DD fixed that way), but it has some disadvantages

1) the plastic keeps shrinking: after the fix it might run silent for a couple of years, but then it might starts to be noisy again.
    2) the plastic actually shrinks in all directions and given the tight tolerances, a smaller gear results in malfunctioning of FF and REW
    3) last but not least, the metal gear can no longer be used with Marian's drop-in replacement: the diameter of the metal core is out of spec and the new plastic gear will not centre perfectly.

9. Boodokhan

Elisio
    How did you separate the plastic gear from metal ring??
    The metal ring is located inside the plastic part. did you break it separated it?

10. Boodokhan

I ran out of my Central gear kits So I decided to sand one of the gears disc as @ElisioClio showed it in the past. Needle file set that I had with different finishes couldn't help to sand this hard material metal disc so i went to hardware store and got a heavy duty file set.
    I sanded the disc probably for more than an hour and I was able to lower the diameter by 0.3 mm. So I gave up!.
    I am very much impressed by Sony for placing such a durable metal disc in DD walkmans. Wish they had the same durable material for plastic gear
    Anyway, Any idea how to sand this disc?? anybody has any experience?

11. matic777

matic777 Member

You can remove the metal lever, clamp it in a electric drill and then file it with diamond file.