Checking status of battery box capacitors in Sony WM-101 & WM-102

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by Rossoe, Oct 6, 2020.

1. Rossoe

Rossoe Member

I didn't realise there was a capacitor tucked in the battery box until I caught a glimpse of blue when cleaning the visible contacts on a WM-101 and WM-102. It's hard to see the values on the side but I think they are 1500uf 4v. replacement would have to be no more than 10-11mm in height.

I wanted to check status of the caps with a visual inspection, and also try and test the ESR (resistance) on both caps using a new MESR-100 meter I just picked up.

Having initially opened up the little lid covering the top of the cap compartment on my WM-101, I noticed there was a high risk of cracking the clip on the main battery box. The lid on the WM-102 was a little easier as they increased the width of the plastic dimensions which strengthened things up.

ESR values:
    WM-101 0.07
    WM-102 0.107

ESR reference table shows they should be healthy if reading is under 0.2

ESR table for electrolytic capacitors.jpg

I thought I would then check if the ESR meter could test the caps without needing to take off the cover to the little compartment - potentially saving accidental damage. I expected the reading to be less reliable due to the extra routing of metal to the external contacts. But touching only the tiny contacts that would connect the battery box to base of Walkman with ESR probes I got the following values:

WM-101 0.08
    WM102 0.110

Slightly higher but still showing that it can be done without risking breaking any plastics. the readings took a little time to settle perhaps because of corrosion build up on the contacts.

Since I've got both of mine open I might try and replace what I assume would be 30+ year old caps - maybe with these nichicons : http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/2323897.pdf

WM-101_102batt1.png

I love the engineering on these tiny parts - the little recess area to account for the cap pins sticking up! WM-101 part seems tidy but more fragile.

WM-101_102batt2.JPG

WM-101_102batt3.JPG

Last edited: Apr 5, 2022
    Emiel and Boodokhan like this.
  2. aepoc

aepoc New Member

Thank you for this, Very informative! Did those replacement caps work?

3. aepoc

aepoc New Member

same question if you're still around (hopefully you are). Also do you have a source for said capacitors? I haven't had much luck in the search...

Last edited: Sep 10, 2022
  4. Silver965

Silver965 Well-Known Member

5. aepoc

aepoc New Member

Yeah I have the size (have two - one of which needs replacing) I plan on printing a few other holders as well and am looking for a source/vendor for these capacitors... can't seen to find exact specs and geometry. Any leads would be greatly appreciated!

6. Rossoe

Rossoe Member

Sorry for delay, life and divorce got in the way!

For the cap at value 1500uf 4v and limited by no more than 10-11mm in height:
    I bought couple of the Nichicon's which turned out to be taller than I thought. and also 2 Panasonic SMD's - but I've not tried them yet - I'll let you know when I finally root the originals out of the tight spot.

I'm in the UK, so these were available at the time -

Panasonic (out of stock at Farnell - although DigiKey have some):
    6.3v 1500uF
    EEEFP0J152AP
    https://uk.farnell.com/panasonic/eeefp0j152ap/cap-1500-f-6-3v-radial-smd/dp/1539505
    H:10.2mm x D10mm

upload_2023-9-25_13-31-36.png

Nichicon (out of stock):
    6.3v 1500uF
    PLG0J152MD01
    https://uk.farnell.com/nichicon/plg0j152mdo1/cap-1500-f-6-3v-20/dp/1580599?ost=plg0j152mdo1

upload_2023-9-25_13-37-59.png

Interesting to see this option available from China now for battery case:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 25, 2023
    Silver965, Emiel and Derek marshall like this.