Cold sound on recapped Walkman

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by Marty, Feb 14, 2022.

1. Marty

Marty New Member

I don't know a lot about capacitors. A friend replaced a bunch of failed capacitors on my Sony Outback Walkman, and the sound is very cold. Sounds like a digital source with no D/A converter. Previously the drive motors turned but there was no sound from the cassette part, only the radio (which sounded normal). Could it be the new capacitors, or is something else wrong with it?
    Thanks.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 15, 2022
  2. Reli

Reli Well-Known Member

I've heard that some brands of caps require break-in time

3. Valentin

Valentin Well-Known Member

@Marty That's a cool looking walkman. Given the capacitors on this model have leaked onto the PCB, it is likely that corrosion exists on the PCB and there are traces, pads or vias that are either completely corroded or do not make a good connection.

I suppose the new capacitors are of good quality, have been installed correctly (as far as polarity goes) and are of the same values as the original ones.
    You mentioned radio worked normally before. Does it sound normal now ? Can you provide an mp3 recording with the sound to make a better idea ?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2022
  4. Marty

Marty New Member

He used the service manual to order the exact capacitors, so they are correct. He said he did not see any damage on the PCB. Yes the radio is the same, sort of cold with slight echo. And instruments that should be in the background are very unnaturally pronounced in the foreground. Is that something that would happen with a capacitor installed reverse? I'm not sure how to record, other than holding an earphone up to my phone maybe?

5. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

That sounds to be as if you have lost the ground connection to the headphones. Vocals, which should be in the centre will disappear. Instruments that should be off to one side like a guitar will still be heard loudly. A big clue is that there will be no stereo imaging.

I have a WM22 with this problem. Having decided the problem was in the headphone jack, as with the plug held in just the right place it would work properly, I desoldered it and found that the earth contact was broken, presumably from the front of the jack being wiggled each time headphones were plugged in or unplugged.

mattb1970 and thid like this.
  6. Marty

Marty New Member

[QUOTE=" Vocals, which should be in the centre will disappear. Instruments that should be off to one side like a guitar will still be heard loudly. A big clue is that there will be no stereo imaging.[/QUOTE]

I still have vocals, but they are not prominent. Everything else you described is what I'm experiencing. Horns and other instruments and whatnot are dramatically louder than the rest. Thanks! And yes, no stereo. Will look at the headphone jack.